Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Monday, December 3, 2012) - The Colorado Rapids announced on Monday that the club has acquired midfielder/forward Atiba Harris from the Vancouver Whitecaps, in exchange for an international roster spot. Harris, 27, is a seven year veteran of MLS, having scored 17 goals and added 19 assists in 138 matches (109 starts) with four different clubs.
To acquire the Saint Kitts and Nevis international, the Rapids traded an international roster spot for the 2015 and 2016 seasons to Vancouver, an extension of the spot traded to the Whitecaps for allocation money prior to the 2012 season.
"Atiba is a versatile, exciting attacking player who has a lot of experience for his age," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "He can play both wide midfield and attacking positions and his speed, skills and tenacity will give our team a boost in the attacking third. We're excited to welcome him to the club."
Harris originally came to MLS in 2006, joining Real Salt Lake after youth stints in Europe with English club Newcastle United and Spanish side CÃ¡diz. He played two seasons with RSL before joining Chivas USA in 2008, and then went to FC Dallas via trade late in 2009. Harris played a key role for Dallas in 2010, including starting against the Rapids in MLS Cup, before the Whitecaps selected the midfielder/forward in the 2011 Expansion Draft.
A veteran and captain for the Saint Kitts and Nevis National Team, Harris is originally from Basseterre in the small island nation in the West Indies. He has played 27 matches for his country, including several in World Cup Qualifying in CONCACAF (the soccer region for North America, Central America and the Caribbean), scoring 10 goals. Harris was the first Kittian to play professionally in Spain and in MLS.
The Colorado Rapids recently ended their 2012 season and will open preseason camp in mid-January of 2013. For more information on the team, or to purchase Season Tickets for the 2013 season, call 303-825-GOAL or visit www.ColoradoRapids.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids to Host Boca Juniors for Friendly Match
- Statement from Colorado Rapids, Stadium Management Company & Denver Sports Commission
- Colorado Rapids, Stefan Aigner Reach Mutual Agreement to Terminate Contract
- Colorado Rapids to Host World Cup of Wine & Beer
- Colorado Rapids Sign Striker Yannick Boli