Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players
SANDY, Utah (Monday, Dec. 3, 2012) - Real Salt Lake has declined the contract options of GK Kyle Reynish, FW Paulo Jr., MF Jonny Steele and FW Emiliano Bonfigli.
"At the end of the season we took a long look at our entire roster, eventually deciding to decline the contract options for these four players," RSL General Manager Garth Lagerwey said.
Both Reynish and Paulo Jr. are eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Process, which will begin with Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft on Dec. 7. A full list of players eligible for the Re-Entry Process will be announced by MLS later this week.
Real Salt Lake can negotiate new deals with Reynish and Paulo Jr. until Dec. 6, the day before Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft. If Reynish and/or Paulo Jr. aren't picked in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft, RSL will be able to negotiate with them again from the conclusion of Stage 1 on Dec. 7 until Dec. 13, the day before Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft. RSL will not hold rights to either player following Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft on Dec. 14.
Neither Steele nor Bonfigli are eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Process. RSL will hold the rights to both players until their contracts expire at the end of the calendar year.
Picked by Real Salt Lake in the fourth round of the 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft, Reynish was the longest tenured RSL player. The 29-year-old GK backed up Nick Rimando during his entire RSL career, appearing in eight MLS games and posting a 2-0-5 league record in seven career starts in six years in Salt Lake.
Paulo Jr., 23, spent parts of three seasons with RSL, arriving at the Utah club on loan from Miami FC of the USL First Division on Sept. 9, 2010. The Brazilian striker scored four goals and notched six assists in 36 MLS games - 17 of which were starts - with the Claret-and-Cobalt.
Steele joined RSL this preseason, signing a contract with the team on Feb. 24, 2012. The 26-year-old MF was RSL's most used substitute, coming off the bench in a team-high 17 of his 28 MLS appearances. The Northern Irishman scored two goals and had two assists for the Claret-and-Cobalt.
Selected with the 17th overall pick of the 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft, Bonfigli made a limited impact with RSL, scoring one goal in 10 league appearances with the club.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.