Tides Blank PawSox in Series Opener
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - In a bullpen game, the Norfolk Tides (49-70) used five pitchers to shut out the Pawtucket Red Sox (52-67) on Tuesday night at McCoy Stadium by a 2-0 final.
It marked the second time this season the PawSox were shut out. Only two Pawtucket runners reached second base.
The Tides scored in the first inning on a two-out double from Mason Williams to make it 1-0.
PawSox starter Teddy Stankiewicz set down 16 in a row spanning from the first through sixth inning before surrendering a lead-off home run in the seventh to Ryan Mountcastle.
Stankiewicz pitched 6.2 innings, allowing four hits and two runs while striking out six without walking a batter. Over his last three starts, Stankiewicz has a 2.33 ERA in 19.1 innings pitched.
C.J. Chatham made his Triple-A debut as the shortstop. Chatham, the Red Sox 2016 second-round draft pick, went 0-for-4 with a pair of strikeouts.
The PawSox continue their three-game series with the Tides tomorrow night at McCoy at 7:05 p.m.
Right-hander Erasmo Ramírez (4-7, 4.15 ERA) will toe the rubber for Pawtucket. Lefty Bruce Zimmermann (0-2, 5.87 ERA) will get the ball for Norfolk.
The game will be televised live on NESN. Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
This homestand runs through Sunday, August 18. Tomorrow night, fans can participate in the Ross-Simons Dazzling Diamond Sweepstakes for a second-straight year with a chance to win diamonds. Friday, August 16 will feature a Red Sox World Series championship replica ring giveaway for the first 3,000 fans in attendance. On Saturday, August 17, fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to country music. The first 5,000 fans in attendance on Sunday will receive a PawSox Baseball Card Set. Sunday will also be another Family FunDay, during which fans can play catch on the field before the game and run the bases after the game.
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Knights Rout RailRiders 15-1 in Opener - Charlotte Knights
- Late home run by Ryan McBroom helps RailRiders avoid shutout - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs first night in Louisville a forgetful one - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Florimon's Two-Run Homer Clips Columbus, 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Mash Their Way to 11-3 Win over 'Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Nay Homers in Bats Win over IronPigs, 7-3 - Louisville Bats
- Indians Clip Red Wings on Martin's Clutch Triple - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Allow Four Home Runs in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Blank PawSox in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Bulls, 9-6 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (58-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-61) at Louisville Bats (50-69) - Louisville Bats
- That's Amore: Francisco Cervelli to Continue Rehab Assignment in Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Homestand Highlights: Wings V. Bisons, August 19-22 - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Team with Hondros College of Nursing - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: August 13-18 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.