Florimon's Two-Run Homer Clips Columbus, 3-2
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Pedro Florimon hit a two-run home run in the eighth inning to lead the Gwinnett Stripers (70-49) to a 3-2 win over the Columbus Clippers (67-52) on Tuesday night at Coolray Field. With their eighth last-at-bat win of the season, the Stripers maintained a 2.5-game lead over Durham for first place in the International League South Division.
Scoring Recap: In the top of the third, Ryan Flaherty roped a two-run double to left to give the Clippers a 2-0 advantage. Florimon got the Stripers on the board with an RBI double in the bottom of the third, cutting the deficit to 2-1. In the eighth, Florimon (10) hit a 361-foot two-run homer to right off Cam Hill to give Gwinnett a 3-2 lead.
Stripers Stats: Florimon went 2-for-4 with a double, homer, and three RBIs. Drew Waters and Jack Lopez each went 2-for-4. Starter Kyle Wright yielded two runs on two hits, walked five and struck out five over 5.0 innings in a no-decision. Jeremy Walker, Patrick Weigel (W, 6-1), and A.J. Minter (S, 5) combined for six strikeouts over 4.0 scoreless innings in relief.
Clippers Stats: Starter Michael Peoples tossed 6.0 innings of one-run ball despite allowing eight hits. Hill (BS, 1, L, 3-2) pitched 1.0 inning and gave up two runs on three hits. Flaherty went 1-for-3 with a double and two RBIs.
Quote: "I saw an opportunity with a guy on base," Florimon said of his home run. "I was just trying to put something in play and got a changeup over the plate. We always are trying to find a way to win."
Postgame Notes: Florimon is the eighth Gwinnett player to reach the 10-homer mark in 2019. Six of his homers have come in 28 games since the Triple-A All-Star Break, a span in which he's batting .337 with 26 RBIs and a 1.075 OPS. Ryan LaMarre went 1-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to nine games and on-base streak to 22 games. Wright saw his team-best six-game quality start streak snapped with his first non-quality outing since June 20 vs. Louisville.
Next Game (Wednesday, August 14): Gwinnett vs. Columbus, 7:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Touki Toussaint (1-3, 6.93 ERA) for the Stripers vs. LHP Logan Allen (0-0, 8.53 ERA) for the Clippers. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Knights Rout RailRiders 15-1 in Opener - Charlotte Knights
- Late home run by Ryan McBroom helps RailRiders avoid shutout - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs first night in Louisville a forgetful one - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Florimon's Two-Run Homer Clips Columbus, 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Mash Their Way to 11-3 Win over 'Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Nay Homers in Bats Win over IronPigs, 7-3 - Louisville Bats
- Indians Clip Red Wings on Martin's Clutch Triple - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Allow Four Home Runs in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Blank PawSox in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Bulls, 9-6 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (58-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-61) at Louisville Bats (50-69) - Louisville Bats
- That's Amore: Francisco Cervelli to Continue Rehab Assignment in Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Homestand Highlights: Wings V. Bisons, August 19-22 - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Team with Hondros College of Nursing - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: August 13-18 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett
- Gwinnett Stripers to Debut "Thirsty Thursday" in 2020
- Gwinnett Stripers Accepting Grant Applications for 2020