Late home run by Ryan McBroom helps RailRiders avoid shutout
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders fell behind in the first inning, and a near-historic offensive performance by the Charlotte Knights paced them to a 15-1 win Tuesday night at BB&T Ballpark.
The first five men who came to the plate for the Knights singled, giving them a 3-0 lead after the first inning. They plated three more runs in the third inning and five in the fifth to open up an 11-0 lead over the RailRiders. SWB starting pitcher, Brian Keller, made his second career Triple-A start and matched the franchise record with 16 hits and 11 runs/11 earned runs allowed in the outing.
When the dust settled, the Knights collected 23 hits off RailRiders pitching. Only twice in the 30-year history of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre baseball has a team collected more hits in a game than the Knights did in their eight trips to the plate.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre had been limited to just two hits over 6.0 innings by Charlotte starting pitcher Kyle Kubat, before he gave way to the bullpen. After 2.0 scoreless innings by Matt Foster, Zach Thompson entered for the final three outs. Looking to complete the shutout, he retired the first two men he faced before allowing a solo homer to Ryan McBroom to make it 15-1. McBroom becomes the third RailRiders batter to hit 20+ homers this season, joining Mike Ford (23) and Trey Amburgey (20).
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has now dropped 9-of-12 games and hold a 4.0-game lead over the Buffalo Bisons for first place in the I.L. North Division with 20 games remaining in the regular season.
The RailRiders continue their three-game set in Charlotte with a scheduled 7:04 p.m. first pitch. RHP Brody Koerner (4-3, 4.74) takes the ball for the RailRiders against Charlotte's RHP Donny Roach (3-6, 7.98). Pregame coverage with Adam Giardino begins at 6:34 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Knights Rout RailRiders 15-1 in Opener - Charlotte Knights
- Late home run by Ryan McBroom helps RailRiders avoid shutout - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs first night in Louisville a forgetful one - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Florimon's Two-Run Homer Clips Columbus, 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Mash Their Way to 11-3 Win over 'Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Nay Homers in Bats Win over IronPigs, 7-3 - Louisville Bats
- Indians Clip Red Wings on Martin's Clutch Triple - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Allow Four Home Runs in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Blank PawSox in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Bulls, 9-6 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (58-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-61) at Louisville Bats (50-69) - Louisville Bats
- That's Amore: Francisco Cervelli to Continue Rehab Assignment in Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Homestand Highlights: Wings V. Bisons, August 19-22 - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Team with Hondros College of Nursing - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: August 13-18 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- Single Game Tickets Go on Sale February 28
- All-Star Mini-Plans on Sale Now
- RailRiders Unveil First Batch of 2020 Theme Nights
- 2020 Fireworks Nights Set
- RailRiders unveil 2020 bobbleheads with a legendary feel