Mud Hens Allow Four Home Runs in Loss
BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Toledo Mud Hens dropped the first of a six-game road trip in Tuesday's 11-3 loss to the Buffalo Bisons.
Toledo made its first visit to Sahlen Field this season for the final series meeting against the International League North Division foe.
After winning four games in the most recent home stand this past week, the Mud Hens finished with nine hits, despite going empty prior to the fifth inning.
Buffalo knocked in four home runs which nearly tied a season-high given up by Toledo last done on July 20.
Spenser Watkins (5-3, 6.36 ERA) made his 10th Triple-A start of the year and would immediately allow five runs in the first inning.
After loading the bases and drawing the first run on back-to-back walks, Watkins had a two-strike count on Andy Burns, who blasted his 14th home run over thr right field wall.
Toledo relieved the 27-year-old right-hander with one out in the second inning as Buffalo took an 8-0 lead.
Socrates Brito and Richard Urena each homered for their 13th and fifth of the season in the second, respectively.
Watkins has surrendred four runs or more in four starts with the Mud Hens this season. The native of Phoenix, Arizona, has split time between Toledo, Double-A Erie and High-A Lakeland in 2019.
The Bisons extended their lead to nine the very next inning from an RBI groundout by Santiago Espinal.
Trent Szkutnik, Bryan Garcia, Austin Adams, Victor Alcantara and Zac Reininger all pitched at least one inning with Alcantara relenting the final of four home runs for Buffalo in the seventh.
Pete Kozma would record the first hit and run scored for the Mud Hens in the fifth inning on a double to deep left-center.
Buffalo starter Conor Fisk (5-6, 4.90 ERA) struck out seven and walked two before the no-hitter was rung out by Kozma, who's fourth on the team in RBIs (43), behind Willi Castro (51), Jacob Robson (48) and Mikie Mahtook (48).
Fisk lasted six innings and gave up two runs on three hits for the win.
Toledo scored its second run in back-to-back innings as Frank Schwindel picked up his second double and 15th RBI in his last nine games.
Coming over from the Kansas City Royals on June 1 and being assigned from the SeaWolves 10 days later, Schwindel is hitting 13-for-36 with four home runs during that nine-game span with the Mud Hens.
Schwindel and Kozma each collected a team-high two hits while Mahtook's RBI infield single in the eighth made it an eight-run difference.
Tim Adleman (6-4, 3.48 ERA) is probable to start Wednesday in the second of a three-game series against the Bisons.
Opening pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. (EST).
Live coverage is available on MiLB.TV and Fox Sports 1230 WCWA-AM.
#RoadToDetroit Report (according to MLB.com Prospect Watch):
8. OF Daz Cameron: 1-for-5
11. IF Willi Castro: 1-for-4, Run
14. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP
18. RHP Kyle Funkhouser DNP
21. RHP Bryan Garcia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 Pitches
27. OF Jacob Robson: 1-for-5, Run
30. OF Danny Woodrow: 0-for-4
- Tuesday marked the first of 13 road games for Toledo before the season's end on September 2.
- Chad Sedio was assigned from High-A Lakeland on August 11. Sedio, the 2016 27th-round draft pick, made his first career Triple-A start on Tuesday and batted in the ninth spot.
- Bobby Wilson left in the sixth inning due to injury. He'd be replaced by Kade Scivicque for the remainder of the game.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Knights Rout RailRiders 15-1 in Opener - Charlotte Knights
- Late home run by Ryan McBroom helps RailRiders avoid shutout - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs first night in Louisville a forgetful one - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Florimon's Two-Run Homer Clips Columbus, 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Mash Their Way to 11-3 Win over 'Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Nay Homers in Bats Win over IronPigs, 7-3 - Louisville Bats
- Indians Clip Red Wings on Martin's Clutch Triple - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Allow Four Home Runs in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tides Blank PawSox in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Bulls, 9-6 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (58-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-61) at Louisville Bats (50-69) - Louisville Bats
- That's Amore: Francisco Cervelli to Continue Rehab Assignment in Indy - Indianapolis Indians
- Homestand Highlights: Wings V. Bisons, August 19-22 - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Team with Hondros College of Nursing - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: August 13-18 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.