Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg
RRISBURG, PA - The Harrisburg Senators completed a four-game sweep of the Thunder with a 5-0 win on Wednesday afternoon at FNB Field.
Deivi Garcia retired the side in order in four of his five innings on the mound, but, was touched for three runs in the bottom of the third. After setting down the first seven batters he faced, Garcia surrendered a single to Tyler Goeddel and after a strikeout of Bryan Mejia walked back-to-back batters to load the bases. Ian Sagdal worked a deep at-bat following the walks and launched a 2-2 offering off the wall in right-center to take a 3-0 lead.
Garcia would settle in after the double and set down the final seven batters he faced to complete his five inning outing. Garcia struck out nine batters raising his total to 25 strikeouts in 14 innings with the Thunder this season.
Senators starter Ben Braymer turned in a brilliant outing, retiring the first 13 batters he faced, on his way to a victory. Mandy Alvarez was the Thunder's first baserunner with a solid single to center field in the fifth inning. Braymer set down the next six batters before allowing another single to Chris Gittens in the seventh. Braymer completed the seventh inning thanks to a terrific diving stop by 3B Drew Ward and earned the win with a season-high nine strikeouts.
The Senators put the game away with two runs off Domingo Acevedo in the eighth inning. Hunter Jones doubled in Bryan Mejia and Ward singled in Jones to push the lead to 5-0.
Gittens finished the day 2-for-4 at the plate as the Thunder failed to draw a walk in a game for the third time this season. Matt Wivinis made his 2019 Thunder debut with two scoreless innings of relief between Garcia and Acevedo, striking out two and walking one man.
Your Thunder return to ARM & MMER Park on Thursday night at 7:00pm for a four-game series with the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. RHP Garrett Whitlock (2-0, 1.99) will start for the Thunder, RHP Mike Gibbons (3-4, 4.41) will go for Binghamton. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:40pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Back in Richmond for Seven-Game Homestand Starting Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Halfway to Halloween Weekend Coming to PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Cats starter finishes with career-high 10 Ks in 9-3 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Akron Takes Series Finale in 11th, 5-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Squirrels Again to Take Series - Erie SeaWolves
- Braymer Tosses Gem, Sens Sweep Trenton with 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 15th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes: GM #34 - Rumble Ponies (21-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-19) - 10:35AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Swept by Binghamton in Tuesday Twin Bill - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.