Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win
NGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Altoona Curve rallied back after a steep deficit and held off a late charge by the Binghamton Rumble Ponies to avoid the sweep, 9-8, on Wednesday at NYSEG Stadium.
Logan Hill went 3-for-4 with three Rs and put the Curve (19-19) ahead in the seventh with a two-run single to left off Matt Blackham. The go-ahead knock was set up by an R double from Mitchell Tolman to pull the Curve within one run against David Roseboom (Loss, 1-1).
Jason Delay started the comeback charge with the first of three Altoona home runs. His two-run homer in the second, the third of the year by the catcher, responded to a five-run first frame by the Rumble Ponies (21-13). Down 6-2 in the sixth, Hill and Hunter Owen socked back-to-back solo bombs to draw within two. Hill's homer was his fourth while Owen added his team-leading eighth.
The two squads traded two runs in the ninth to build up to the drama-filled ending. On a sacrifice fly to center by Jerrick Suiter, Tolman scored from third. Bligh Madris tagged from second base and scored on the play when Binghamton center fielder Sam Haggerty overthrew the third baseman as the Curve took a 9-6 lead into the bottom of the ninth.
After a scoreless eighth inning, Angel German (Save, 1) allowed a double and walked two to fill the bases for Binghamton with no outs to start his search of a six-out save. Patrick Mazeika connected on a two-run double to right that put the Ponies within one run. German induced a groundout to short with the infield playing in for the first out of the ninth. Altoona chose to intentionally walk Kevin Kaczmarski to load the bases and set up a force at every base. The strategy paid off as Mike Paez hit a grounder to Owen at third, who threw home to the catcher Delay and started a 5-2-3, game-ending double play.
After a walk-off grand slam on Tuesday night, Binghamton's Mazeika drove in six of his team's eight runs in defeat. He capped off the five-run first frame with a three-run homer and singled home one run during the second to increase Binghamton's early lead to 6-2 after two innings.
Despite the early deficit, Sean Brady (Win, 1-3) battled through six innings for his first win in the Pirates organization. Following Mazeika's R single in the second, he retired 12 of his last 15 batters to keep the Curve within striking distance.
The victory over Binghamton broke up a three-game losing streak for Altoona.
The Curve welcome the Harrisburg Senators to PNG Field on Thursday with a 6 p.m. first pitch. Left-hander Cam Vieaux (1-2, 3.38) will start for Altoona against Senators righty Wil Crowe (4-1, 1.89).
The four-game set starts with a Thirstday, presented by Q94, with $2 specials on selects drafts and regular-sized soda in addition to $1 Juniata Brand by Kunzler hot dogs. The ballpark gates will open at 5 p.m. For tickets or more information, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Back in Richmond for Seven-Game Homestand Starting Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Halfway to Halloween Weekend Coming to PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Cats starter finishes with career-high 10 Ks in 9-3 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Akron Takes Series Finale in 11th, 5-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Squirrels Again to Take Series - Erie SeaWolves
- Braymer Tosses Gem, Sens Sweep Trenton with 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 15th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes: GM #34 - Rumble Ponies (21-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-19) - 10:35AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Swept by Binghamton in Tuesday Twin Bill - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.