'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford
rtland, Maine - The Hartford Yard Goats (21-18) scored twice early and held on, defeating the Sea Dogs (12-23) 2-1 in the rubber match of the series on Wednesday night in rtland.
After a Vince Fernandez homer in the first, Ryan Metzler hit an infield single off of Tanner Houck with two outs in the second to give Hartford the early 2-0 lead which they would never relinquish.
Brandon Gold (W, 4-2) kept the Sea Dogs in check for 5.2 innings. Gold allowed a run on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
Tanner Houck (L, 3-3) was handed the loss despite a great outing. The former first-round pick went a season-high 6.2 innings and allowed two runs on six hits while walking two and striking out seven.
The Sea Dogs scored their lone run in the fourth on an RBI single by Bobby Dalbec to score Brett Netzer.
rtland had plenty of chances, stranding six runners over the middle three innings and finishing 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position. Vance Vizcaino also threw out CJ Chatham at home plate trying to tag up from the third base to end the fourth inning.
The Sea Dogs open up a nine-game trip over eight days beginning on Thursday night against the Reading Fightin Phis at FirstEnergy Stadium. Lefty Darwinzon Hernandez (1-2, 4.19) makes his sixth start of the year for rtland. Reading counters with RHP Mauricio Llovera (1-0, 4.15). Radio coverage on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network begins at 6:30 PM. The game is available on the tune-in app and MiLB.TV.
Tickets for any game at Hadlock Field can be purchased at 207-879-9500 or seadogs.com. Book your nine inning vacation today!
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Back in Richmond for Seven-Game Homestand Starting Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Halfway to Halloween Weekend Coming to PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Cats starter finishes with career-high 10 Ks in 9-3 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Akron Takes Series Finale in 11th, 5-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Squirrels Again to Take Series - Erie SeaWolves
- Braymer Tosses Gem, Sens Sweep Trenton with 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 15th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes: GM #34 - Rumble Ponies (21-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-19) - 10:35AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Swept by Binghamton in Tuesday Twin Bill - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Sea Dogs Stories
- 'Dogs with a Big Third, Beat the 'Cats 8-4 in the Series Opener
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 24th vs. New Hampshire
- Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars
- Luke Has the Power, 'Dogs Win 4-3 on Tendler's Homer
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 23rd vs. Reading