Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats
RTLAND, ME - Brandon Gold and three relievers combined to pitch the surging Hartford Yard Goats to a 2-1 win over the Portland Sea Dogs Wednesday night, before 3,515 at Hadlock Field. The win placed Hartford (21-18) a season-high three games over .500 and in third place, 2 1/2 games behind first place Binghamton. It also marked the Yard Goats eighth series win in their last nine. Hartford has also beaten the Red Sox affiliate in six of nine games.
Gold, who improved to 4-2 and has won three straight, allowed one run on six hits. He walked two and struck out three, before being lifted with two outs in the sixth, when the Sea Dogs loaded the bases. Heath Holder came on to pitch out of the jam and hurled a scoreless seventh inning. Logan Cozart pitched the eighth and Ben Bowden nailed down his league-leading 12th save with two strike outs in a 1-2-3 ninth. The stellar pitching performance lowered the Yard Goats league-leading ERA to 2.87.
Vince Fernandez gave Hartford a first inning lead with an opposite field solo home run atop the 37 foot-high wall in left off of Tanner Houck. It was his eighth home run of the year. The Yard Goats added a run in the second on a double off the wall by Bret Boswell and a two-out infield hit by Ryan Metzler.
Portland cut the lead in half in the fourth inning on three straight singles, capped by an RBI-hit by Bobby Dalbec. Gold then pitched out of a second-and-third one-out jam in the fifth, before being lifted in the sixth.
Alan Trejo had two hits for Hartford, while C.J. Chatham led the Sea Dogs with two hits.
Houck, the Red Sox first round draft choice in 2017, pitched well for Portand in 6.2 innings, in his longest outing of the season. He permitted two runs on six hits, walked two and struck out seven.
Hartford returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park Thursday at 7 PM to start a four-game series against New Hampshire. LHP Ty Culbreth will pitch for the Yard Goats against RHP Hector Perez. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410AM, on 100.9 FM, in Spanish on 1120AM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com.
Hartford 2-6-2Portland 1-7-0
WP- Brandon Gold (4-2)
LP- Tanner Houck (3-3)
S- Ben Bowden (12)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Back in Richmond for Seven-Game Homestand Starting Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Halfway to Halloween Weekend Coming to PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Cats starter finishes with career-high 10 Ks in 9-3 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Akron Takes Series Finale in 11th, 5-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Squirrels Again to Take Series - Erie SeaWolves
- Braymer Tosses Gem, Sens Sweep Trenton with 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 15th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes: GM #34 - Rumble Ponies (21-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-19) - 10:35AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Swept by Binghamton in Tuesday Twin Bill - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.