Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day
nghamton, NY - In front of 6,968 excited students and teachers on "Baseball in Education" Day at NYSEG Stadium, the Rumble Ponies (21-13) fell short 9-8 to the Altoona Curve (19-19) on Wednesday morning. With 45 different schools represented, Altoona avoided being swept by the Ponies, who finish their 5-game homestand 2-3.
Ponies first basemen Patrick Mazeika did finish 3-4, drilling a 3-run homer with a career-high 6 RBI. Mazeika's 3-run homer capped off a five-run first inning that gave the Ponies a 5-0 lead after one, and an RBI single that gave the Ponies a 6-2 advantage after two. His two-run double in the ninth pulled the Ponies to within one in the ninth. Over the last four games Mazeika is 7-15, with 3 HR (his first three of the year) and 14 RBI. He has also extended his team-high hitting streak to fourteen games.
Altoona after falling behind early, used three home runs to get back in the game. Jason Delay hit a two-run homer off Ponies starter Harol Gonzalez in the second, and Logan Hill and Hunter Owen hit back-to-back solo homers in the sixth to cut the Ponies lead to 6-4. In the seventh, the Curve scored three off of the nghamton bullpen highlighted by a 2-run single from Hill to put Altoona up 7-6. Down 9-6 in the ninth, the Ponies made a furious rally and down by one, had the bases loaded with one out, before Mike Paez hit into a game-ending double play.
nghamton hits the road for seven games, beginning a four-game series tomorrow night in Trenton against the Thunder. First pitch is set for 7pm on Newsradio 1290 WNBF and on the nghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn, with the Horizons Federal Credit Union pregame show beginning at 6:45.
POSTGAME NOTES: The Ponies are still a half-game ahead of the Thunder in the Eastern Division as Trenton fell to the Senators 5-0 in Harrisburg Wednesday...Harol Gonzalez made his first start since pitching a combined no-hitter last week, allowing four runs over six in a no-decision...Altoona left fielder Logan Hill finished 3-4, with 3 RBI, including a solo homer in the sixth and the go-ahead two-run single in the seventh.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Back in Richmond for Seven-Game Homestand Starting Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Halfway to Halloween Weekend Coming to PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Cats starter finishes with career-high 10 Ks in 9-3 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Akron Takes Series Finale in 11th, 5-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Squirrels Again to Take Series - Erie SeaWolves
- Braymer Tosses Gem, Sens Sweep Trenton with 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 15th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes: GM #34 - Rumble Ponies (21-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-19) - 10:35AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Swept by Binghamton in Tuesday Twin Bill - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Rain Washes Away Father's Day Series Finale
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #63 Rumble Ponies (33-29)
- Spiedies Fall to the Curve Dropping Fourth Straight
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #62 Rumble Ponies (33-28) vs. Altoona Curve (33-31) - 6:35PM
- Stud Muffins Drop Third Straight in Loss to Curve