RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win
e Akron RubberDucks and Bowie Baysox engaged in a pitcher's duel Wednesday morning at Canal Park, remaining scoreless until extra innings, but after each team scored two 10th-inning runs, Akron's Daniel Johnson hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the 11th to give the RubberDucks a 5-2 win.
Wednesday's game came down to late game heroics from the RubberDucks. With the game tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 11th inning, Daniel Johnson hit a three-run home run, his eighth home run of the season, to win it for Akron in dramatic fashion. e lefthanded outfielder took a 0-1 fastball and drove it beyond the fence in right field to give the RubberDucks a 5-2 walk-off win.
Akron RubberDucks starter Sam Hentges held the Baysox scoreless through seven innings, working past two extra-base hits in the third and fourth innings. e fourth-round draft pick of the Cleveland Indians worked efficiently on the mound, allowing only four hits and throwing 58 out of 90 pitches for strikes. David Speer threw scoreless innings in the eighth and ninth before allowing a two-run home run to T.J. Nichting in the 10th. Kyle Nelson earned his first Double-A win, throwing a three-strikeout scoreless 11th inning.
e RubberDucks offense again struggled to push any runs across the plate, having been kept off the scoreboard for 23 straight innings until the bottom of the 10th. Six Ducks had hits, including Wilson Garcia's RBI double to get Akron on the board in the 10th inning and Johnson's three-run homer in the 11th inning, which was his team-leading ninth double and 33rd hit.
Hentges struck out six batters in his longest start this season, raising his strikeout rate to 5.25 per start...It was his second scoreless outing in his last three starts, during which time he's allowed two earned runs over 19 IP (0.95 ERA) and he now has a 4.69 ERA after being at a season-high 9.39 after his second start (he now has eight GS)...Johnson now is tied for second in the Eastern League in home runs (8) and RBI (28)...Johnson extended his hitting streak to eight games (10-for-34, .294) with five home runs and 13 RBI...Connor Marabell went 1-for-2 with a walk and he now has a seven-game hitting streak (8-for-26, .308) ... Nellie Rodriguez has hit safely in all four games since being assigned to Akron, batting .357 in that span...Time of game: 2:27...Attendance: 7,501.
On the Pond
e RubberDucks will now hit the road for a weekend road trip to Richmond to take on the Flying Squirrels in a four-game series starting ursday at 6:35 p.m. LHP Eli Morgan (0-0, 1.69) is scheduled for Akron and LHP Conner Menez (2-2, 2.27) is slated for Richmond. e game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Back in Richmond for Seven-Game Homestand Starting Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Halfway to Halloween Weekend Coming to PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Cats starter finishes with career-high 10 Ks in 9-3 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Akron Takes Series Finale in 11th, 5-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Squirrels Again to Take Series - Erie SeaWolves
- Braymer Tosses Gem, Sens Sweep Trenton with 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 15th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes: GM #34 - Rumble Ponies (21-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-19) - 10:35AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Swept by Binghamton in Tuesday Twin Bill - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks Begin "20 Days of Giving" Promotion November 19
- Book a Holiday Event in the Duck Club by Firestone at Canal Park
- Akron Ranked a Top-10 Minor League Market by Sports Business Journal
- Canal Park Festival of Beers to Feature Ohio-Based Breweries September 21, 4-7 p.m.
- RubberDucks Shutout to End Season