Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans
nchester, NH - Alberto Mineo went 4-for-4 with a home run and five RBI and Patrick Murphy struck out a career-high ten batters to lead the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Toronto Blue Jays Double-A affiliate) over the Reading Fightin Phils (Philadelphia Phillies) 9-1 on Wednesday morning at Delta Dental Stadium.
The Fisher Cats welcomed in 6,906 fans as part of STEM in the Stadium, presented by Southern New Hampshire University.
The Fisher Cats (18-19) earned the win in the rubber game of the three-game series, breaking open a close contest with eight unanswered runs.
The teams exchanged solo homers in the early innings. Mineo drilled a line shot that cleared the fence in right field for his third home run. Reading tied the game at 1-1 in the top of the third inning on a solo home run by Josh Stephen.
New Hampshire took control in the bottom of the fourth inning. Brock Lundquist (2-for-4) singled and Mineo doubled him in. Kevin Smith followed with his third homer of the season, a two-run blast to left, for a 4-1 lead.
In the top of the sixth inning, Lundquist doubled and Mineo ripped an RBI single up the middle for another run.
The Fisher Cats started a four-run rally in the home seventh with a triple by Vinny Capra. Forrest Wall knocked in a run with a single. Santiago Espinal walked and Patrick Kivlehan reached on an error to load the bases. Mineo delivered a two-run single and Smith drove in Kivlehan with a base hit for a 9-1 lead.
Murphy (W, 2-4) allowed just the one run in his seven innings. He did not walk a batter and the ten strikeouts were a career-high.
Reading put up a pair of unearned runs in the top of the eighth inning after Jake Fishman took over on the mound. Bailey Falter (L, 3-2) took the loss for the Fightin Phils.
Notes: The ten-strikeout performance is the first by a Fisher Cats player since Sean Reid-Foley had 10 last y 21 vs. Reading...Mineo had the second four-hit game of the season.
The Fisher Cats open a four-game series tomorrow night in Hartford. RHP Hector Perez (2-2, 7.33 ERA) is slated to start for New Hampshire against southpaw Ty Culbreth (3-2, 4.08 ERA) for the Yard Goats (Colorado Rockies Double-A).
New Hampshire returns home on Tuesday, y 21 at 6:35 p.m. to open a homestand with the Altoona Curve (Pittsburgh Pirates Double-A). For ticket information, visit www.nhfishercats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 15, 2019
- 'Dogs Fall Short on Wednesday, 2-1 to Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gold Fuels Surging Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Back in Richmond for Seven-Game Homestand Starting Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Halfway to Halloween Weekend Coming to PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Fall to Curve on "Baseball in Education" Day - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Rally, Hold off Ponies in Wild Wednesday Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Cats starter finishes with career-high 10 Ks in 9-3 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Score Plenty in Extras for Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Murphy's 10 Ks Lead NH to 9-3 Win in Front of 6,906 Fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Akron Takes Series Finale in 11th, 5-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Squirrels Again to Take Series - Erie SeaWolves
- Braymer Tosses Gem, Sens Sweep Trenton with 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Swept out in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 15th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes: GM #34 - Rumble Ponies (21-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-19) - 10:35AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Swept by Binghamton in Tuesday Twin Bill - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Hampshire Fisher Cats Stories
- Reading Challenge Extended Through April 13
- Fisher Cats National Anthem Contest Moved...To the Internet
- Fisher Cats to Host National Anthem Auditions March 25
- Fisher Cats to Host Nickelodeon Blue's Clues & You Day at the Ballpark
- Fisher Cats Tickets Now on Sale for 2020 Season