Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory on St. Patrick's Day
WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita got back to its winning ways on Wednesday night, holding of a late rally from the Indy Fuel for a 3-2 victory at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Matteo Gennaro scored a pair of goals, Patrik Parkkonen had a goal and an assist and Anthony Beauregard had two helpers. Evan Weninger was solid in net, stopping 42 shots for his 13th win of the year.
Gennaro got the scoring started with just one second left in the first. He re-directed a shot from Austin McIlmurray on the power play to make it 1-0.
In the second, Parkkonen caught a beautiful feed from Beauregard during a two-on-one rush and beat Dan Bakala to increase the lead to 2-0. Gennaro made it 3-0 at 14:29 when Stephen Johnson found him down the slot from behind the net and he hammered a one-timer for his second of the contest.
Diego Cuglietta cut the lead to 3-1 with a power play marker at 17:49 of the second. Willie Raskob took a shot towards the net from the blue line that Cuglietta knocked out of the air and it got past Weninger.
Mathew Thompson cut the lead to 3-2 at 12:11 of the third period. He found a loose puck at the right dot and blasted one past Weninger for his third of the season.
Indy pulled Bakala in the final minute, but the Thunder defense was too strong and held on for the win.
Wichita snapped a five-game winless skid and has power play goals in four-straight games. Wichita improves to 7-5-3 all-time on St. Patrick's Day.
Gennaro recorded his third two-goal outing of the season. Parkkonen tallied his first goal in regulation of the year. Beauregard moves into first overall in the league with 35 points.
The Thunder heads to Wheeling for the first time in franchise history to begin a three-game set on Friday night against the Nailers.
Single game tickets are on sale now.
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder exchange congratulations
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2021
- GAME REPORT: Oilers Extend Win Streak to Five in Overtime Tilt at Allen - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory on St. Patrick's Day - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Edge Fuel 3-2 in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Icemen Impressive in St. Patrick's Day Match with Orlando - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears drop first of four games to Icemen, 5-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Acquire Prapavessis in Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Shepard Recalled by Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Announce Partnership with A.L. Huber General Contractor - Kansas City Mavericks
- Toss a Tomato, Win Some Dough Goes Virtual, with Drop from Rafters - Maine Mariners
- Aubrun Assigned by Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, March 17, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day Preview: Tulsa at Allen, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.