Thunder Prepare for Home Stretch, Take on Sundogs this Weekend
Prescott Valley, AZ (March 15th) - With six games remaining in the regular season, Wichita heads to the desert to take on the Arizona Sundogs for a pair of games this weekend. Wichita is in the midst of a four-game road swing and was able to earn its first road victory in the last eight contests on Sunday afternoon at Missouri. The Thunder finish the season with four of the remaining six games away from home as they look to secure its seed for the post-season.
Wichita and Arizona have met only once so far this season with the Sundogs winning in a shootout by the final of 2-1. Both squads are coming into this weekend's contests as two of the hottest teams in the league. Wichita is 5-0-1 in its last six games and 14-3-5 in its last 22. Neil Trimm has led the way for the Thunder in its last five games, recording 12 points (6g, 6a) and is a +8. He also leads the team in points away from home with 24 (13g, 11a) in 29 road contests. Torrie Jung has been solid in net over that same span, going 4-0-1 with a goals against average of 2.67 and a save percentage of .894.
Arizona is 5-3-1 in its last nine games allowing two or fewer in seven of those contests. Former Thunder netminder Adam Russo earned Goalie of the Week honors last week and has gone 3-0-1 in his last four starts. Russo is 16-11-5 so far this year after being traded from Wichita to the Sundogs in the off-season. Leading the way upfront for Arizona is newly acquired forward Kevin Baker, who has 10 points (6g, 4a) in five games since joining the team on March 5th. Arizona just finished a five-game road trip and will finish the string with five -straight at home. The Sundogs are 13-12-3 at Tim's Toyota Center this season.
Forward Erick Lizon returns to the Thunder line-up after spending the last two months with the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League. Lizon was called-up just after Christmas and appeared in 17 games for the Barons, committing 30 penalty minutes. Overall this season in Wichita, Lizon has played in 24 games, recording three assists and racking up 71 penalty minutes.
In other moves, forward Chad Painchaud has been activated from 7-Day IR and will play tonight. Forward Todd Griffith has been placed on 7-Day IR retroactive to March 10th and defenseman Jarred Mohr has been put on Season-Ending IR.
Wichita faces the Arizona Sundogs tonight at 9:05 p.m central time. The two teams will meet again tomorrow night before the Thunder finish off its four-game road trip in Allen, TX the following Tuesday. The Thunder will not return to home-ice until March 22nd against the Allen Americans. For tickets, call 755-SEAT, visit the INTRUST Bank Arena box office or online at www.selectaseat.com.
Wichita Thunder playoff packages are on sale now. There are many ways to get involved, so be a part of the Blue Revolution and the Thunder's quest for a CHL Title. Contact the Wichita Thunder Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at (316) 264-4625 or visit the fan relations table behind section 120 at any Wichita Thunder home game for more information. Join the Blue Revolution today!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2013
- Rush Secure Fourth-Consecutive Trip to Postseason Despite 4-2 Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Powers Oilers Past Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards, Genesis Team up to Raise $24,600 for Genesis Outpatient Rehabilitation - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Come Back for 4-2 Win over Cutthroats - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Fall to Mavericks in 4-2 Final - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Drop Bloomington 5-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Edge Charge Back But Drop Season Opener - Bloomington Blaze
- Late Tiebreaker Pushes Mallards Past Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Thunder Prepare for Home Stretch, Take on Sundogs this Weekend - Wichita Thunder
- Connor Equipment Manager of the Year Runner-Up - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Eric Meland - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fedorowich Receives Top Honor as Trainer of the Year - Arizona Sundogs
- Three-Peat: Romeo Vivit Earns Third Consecutive Equipment Manager of the Year Award - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Announces Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager of the Year - CHL
- Fans Experience Allen Americans Hockey at New Level - Allen Americans
- Oilers Recognized in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Score Well in the Best of the Best Awards - Allen Americans
- Blaze Receive Honors in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Shine in CHL's 'Best of the Best' Poll - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Rank Near Top of Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Named 13 Times in CHL's Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Rush Faithful Defend Title of 'Best Fans' - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Releases Best of the Best Poll Results - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards' Lang Among CHL's "Best of the Best" - Quad City Mallards
- CHL 2012-13 Best of the Best Poll Results Announced - CHL
- Cutthroats Score Big in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Denver Cutthroats
- Shots from the Point for March 15, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.