Mallards' Lang Among CHL's "Best of the Best"
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. (March 15, 2013) - Quad City Mallards forward Mickey Lang has been voted the Central Hockey League's Most Underrated Player and Fastest Skater and finished in the top three in three other categories while the Mallards have been voted the league's second hardest working team and have also been recognized for their accomplishments in several of other categories in the CHL's annual "Best of the Best" poll of the league's players, coaches and operations staff, the Mallards announced today in conjunction with the CHL
In addition to taking top honors in the Most Underrated and Fastest Skater voting, Lang also finished second in Best Penalty Killer and Most Gentlemanly Player voting and finished third in Most Valuable to His Team balloting. Lang leads the league in shorthanded goals (5) and game-winning goals (8), ranks second in goals (36), is tied for second in power play goals (11), ranks fourth in points (75) and ranks eighth in assists (37). Lang made his American Hockey League debut in January with the Rockford IceHogs.
The Mallards have gone 28-25-6 and totaled 62 points under coach Terry Ruskowski on their way to finishing in the top two in the Hardest Working category for the third time in as many seasons since entering the CHL. The Mallards were voted the hardest working team in the league last year after also being voted second hardest working club in 2010-11.
The Mallards' Mike Hellyer, who leads first year players in points (57) and assists (35) and is tied for second in goals (22), finished second in the Best Rookie voting.
The Mallards were also recognized for excellence off the ice. The team's fans have obviously made a significant impression on opposing players, who voted them third most annoying in the CHL. Mo Mallard's unique personality likewise made a strong impression on voters as he finished second in Best Mascot polling. The Mallards also scored significant style points- the team's logo was voted third best in the league.
A summary of "Best of the Best" poll results, including the top three vote-getters in 50 different categories, can be found in The Wichita Eagle. The full listing of top finishers in each category can also be found at centralhockeyleague.com .
The Mallards return to the ice at home tonight at 7:05 p.m. again against the Bloomington Blaze. The Mallards will wear special St. Patrick's day jerseys this evening that will go up for bid in a live auction after the game to benefit the Genesis Health Services Foundation. Tonight is also a $1 Dog, $1 Beer College Night- hot dogs and beer will be available to all fans for just $1 at i wireless Center concession stands during that game. In addition, tickets to tonight's game are available for just $10 to college students with a valid student I.D.
Tickets for tonight's tilt- as well as seats for all remaining Mallards regular season home games- can be purchased at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by- phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000 as well as at the box office. The box office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2013
- Rush Secure Fourth-Consecutive Trip to Postseason Despite 4-2 Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Powers Oilers Past Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards, Genesis Team up to Raise $24,600 for Genesis Outpatient Rehabilitation - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Come Back for 4-2 Win over Cutthroats - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Fall to Mavericks in 4-2 Final - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Drop Bloomington 5-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Edge Charge Back But Drop Season Opener - Bloomington Blaze
- Late Tiebreaker Pushes Mallards Past Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Thunder Prepare for Home Stretch, Take on Sundogs this Weekend - Wichita Thunder
- Connor Equipment Manager of the Year Runner-Up - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Eric Meland - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fedorowich Receives Top Honor as Trainer of the Year - Arizona Sundogs
- Three-Peat: Romeo Vivit Earns Third Consecutive Equipment Manager of the Year Award - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Announces Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager of the Year - CHL
- Fans Experience Allen Americans Hockey at New Level - Allen Americans
- Oilers Recognized in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Score Well in the Best of the Best Awards - Allen Americans
- Blaze Receive Honors in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Shine in CHL's 'Best of the Best' Poll - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Rank Near Top of Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Named 13 Times in CHL's Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Rush Faithful Defend Title of 'Best Fans' - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Releases Best of the Best Poll Results - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards' Lang Among CHL's "Best of the Best" - Quad City Mallards
- CHL 2012-13 Best of the Best Poll Results Announced - CHL
- Cutthroats Score Big in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Denver Cutthroats
- Shots from the Point for March 15, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings