Late Tiebreaker Pushes Mallards Past Blaze
MOLINE - The Bloomington Blaze, fueled by Mid-Illini Credit Union, gave up a late tie-breaking goal and lost 5-3 to the Quad City Mallards on Friday night at iWireless Center.
The Mallards took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission on a penalty shot goal from Mickey Lang with 4:54 remaining in the chapter and on a running Michael Monfredo wrister from the left circle assisted by Matt Boyd and Jason Dixon with 2:01 left before the break.
Quad City took a 3-0 lead with a shorthanded goal by Matt Boyd, assisted by Matt Duffy with 12:42 left in the second period, but Steve Makway answered one minute later on that power play on assists from Nicolas Rioux and Nicklas Lindberg to cut the Blaze deficit to 3-1. Sean O'Connor cleaned up a puck deep in the slot with 6:41 left in chapter two after Kyle Bochek and his running shot tumbled into the crease. Leland Fidler tied the game from the slot with 3:33 remaining before the second intermission on assists from Jon Booras and Brett Lutes.
The game remained even until 1:27 remaining in regulation when the Mallards scored on the power play on a drive by Darren McMillan assisted by Mike Stinziani and Bob Preece, and the Flock sealed the game on an empty net goal by Michael Monfredo with 13.6 seconds remaining.
The Mallards were 1-for-5 on the power play while the Blaze were 1-of-4. The Blaze outshot the Mallards 39-27. Ross MacKinnon took the loss with 22 saves while John Murray picked up a 36-save win. The loss was the eighth consecutive road setback for the Blaze and their 12th loss in the last 13 games away from home.
The Blaze host the Denver Cutthroats on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. and Sunday at 4:05 p.m. Saturday is Disability Awareness Night with special jerseys worn by the Blaze that will be auctioned immediately after the game. Also on Saturday, the first 1,000 youngsters age 12 and under will receive a youth jersey compliments of Country Financial. Sunday is a Casey's 8 Gallons Day featuring $8 admission with a voucher from area Casey's General Stores with each purchase of eight gallons of fuel. Vouchers may also be saved and printed from the home page of www.bloomingtonblaze.com. Fans are invited to skate with the Blaze after Sunday's game. The Blaze then host the Missouri Mavericks on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. on another Casey's 8 Gallons Night.
The Junior Blaze conclude their regular season on Saturday at 3 p.m. and Sunday at 11 a.m. before the Blaze CHL games. Admission is included in the Blaze ticket.
For more information on the Blaze, call 309-TC SPORT (827-7678) or visit www.bloomingtonblaze.com, Facebook and Twitter (BLMBlaze). For single-game tickets, visit the U.S. Cellular Coliseum box office weekdays from 11 a.m. till 5:30 p.m. or three hours before a weekend event or call 309-434-2679.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2013
- Rush Secure Fourth-Consecutive Trip to Postseason Despite 4-2 Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Powers Oilers Past Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards, Genesis Team up to Raise $24,600 for Genesis Outpatient Rehabilitation - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Come Back for 4-2 Win over Cutthroats - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Fall to Mavericks in 4-2 Final - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Drop Bloomington 5-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Edge Charge Back But Drop Season Opener - Bloomington Blaze
- Late Tiebreaker Pushes Mallards Past Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Thunder Prepare for Home Stretch, Take on Sundogs this Weekend - Wichita Thunder
- Connor Equipment Manager of the Year Runner-Up - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Eric Meland - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fedorowich Receives Top Honor as Trainer of the Year - Arizona Sundogs
- Three-Peat: Romeo Vivit Earns Third Consecutive Equipment Manager of the Year Award - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Announces Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager of the Year - CHL
- Fans Experience Allen Americans Hockey at New Level - Allen Americans
- Oilers Recognized in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Score Well in the Best of the Best Awards - Allen Americans
- Blaze Receive Honors in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Shine in CHL's 'Best of the Best' Poll - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Rank Near Top of Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Named 13 Times in CHL's Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Rush Faithful Defend Title of 'Best Fans' - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Releases Best of the Best Poll Results - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards' Lang Among CHL's "Best of the Best" - Quad City Mallards
- CHL 2012-13 Best of the Best Poll Results Announced - CHL
- Cutthroats Score Big in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Denver Cutthroats
- Shots from the Point for March 15, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.