Cutthroats Score Big in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" Poll
DENVER - The Denver Cutthroats were honored by their peer franchises today in the Central Hockey League's annual "Best of the Best" poll.
Every season representatives from the league office and each of the CHL's member franchises vote for the top three teams in 50 separate categories to recognize the best the CHL has to offer both on and off the ice.
The expansion Cutthroats finished in the top three in 15 of the 50 total categories, including being named the CHL's best in five of them. Only the Missouri Mavericks and Wichita Thunder finished first in more categories than the Cutthroats.
Denver's forward line of AJ Gale, Troy Schwab, and Brad Smyth were each recognized for the successful season they have put together so far as Gale was named in the top three for Best Overall Player (second), Fastest Skater (second), Best Stickhandler (third), and Best Shooter in Shootouts (third). Schwab finished third in the Fastest Skater category behind Gale. Smyth was voted third in the Best Power Forward category and second as the league's Best Leader.
Gale (74 pts.), Schwab (74 pts.), and Smyth (71 pts.) are three of the top seven players in the league's overall scoring race. Gale is a finalist for the CHL's Most Valuable Player award, leading the league with 38 goals on the season.
Adam Smyth was voted first under the Most Annoying Player category. Colorado Springs native Luke Fulghum finished second as the Best Shooter in Shootouts ahead of Gale. Fulghum is 5-of-11 this season in shootout attempts. Gale is 3-of-6.
The recognition for the team increased off the ice as the Cutthroats were voted first as the Best Team Logo and second in the Best Team Uniforms category. The club's logo, color scheme, and uniforms were designed by the Denver-based company Adrenalin.
Jim Hudson was voted second as the league's Best Public Address Announcer and Denver was named the Best City in the CHL.
The Cutthroats were also named among the best in the media-based categories as the team finished first for Best Website and second for Best Game Notes and Best Use of Social Media. After finishing as the runner-up each of the past three seasons, Cutthroats broadcast voice Brien Rea was voted as the league's Best Broadcaster.
For the complete results visit http://www.denvercutthroats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2013
- Rush Secure Fourth-Consecutive Trip to Postseason Despite 4-2 Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Powers Oilers Past Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards, Genesis Team up to Raise $24,600 for Genesis Outpatient Rehabilitation - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Come Back for 4-2 Win over Cutthroats - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Fall to Mavericks in 4-2 Final - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Drop Bloomington 5-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Edge Charge Back But Drop Season Opener - Bloomington Blaze
- Late Tiebreaker Pushes Mallards Past Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Thunder Prepare for Home Stretch, Take on Sundogs this Weekend - Wichita Thunder
- Connor Equipment Manager of the Year Runner-Up - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Eric Meland - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fedorowich Receives Top Honor as Trainer of the Year - Arizona Sundogs
- Three-Peat: Romeo Vivit Earns Third Consecutive Equipment Manager of the Year Award - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Announces Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager of the Year - CHL
- Fans Experience Allen Americans Hockey at New Level - Allen Americans
- Oilers Recognized in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Score Well in the Best of the Best Awards - Allen Americans
- Blaze Receive Honors in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Shine in CHL's 'Best of the Best' Poll - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Rank Near Top of Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Named 13 Times in CHL's Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Rush Faithful Defend Title of 'Best Fans' - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Releases Best of the Best Poll Results - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards' Lang Among CHL's "Best of the Best" - Quad City Mallards
- CHL 2012-13 Best of the Best Poll Results Announced - CHL
- Cutthroats Score Big in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Denver Cutthroats
- Shots from the Point for March 15, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster