Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
Denver - The Denver Cutthroats announced today that defenseman Sean Zimmerman will return for his third consecutive season with the team.
During the Cutthroats 2013-14 season, Zimmerman anchored the top defensive pairing to shut down some of the Central Hockey League's best offensive players, while contributing three goals, eight assists and 112 penalty minutes in 66 games. He was an integral part of the Cutthroats run to the Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Finals and played all 16 games in the playoffs to record four assists and 26 penalty minutes.
"We are proud to bring Sean back for another season with the Fish," said Denver Cutthroats Head Coach Brad Smyth. "He has been a mainstay from day one of the franchise and continues to be a strong player, who can be counted on for his consistency and outstanding leadership qualities. Cutthroat fans will be excited to see Zimmer back in the green and white on Coliseum ice once again."
Drafted in the sixth round by the New Jersey Devils in 2005, the defenseman played 274 games in the American Hockey League to notch 31 total points with 26 assists and 274 penalty minutes in seven seasons. The Denver, Colo. native joined the Cutthroats during the team's inaugural season to tally 77 penalty minutes with 13 assists in 61 regular season games and 33 penalty minutes in five post-season games.
"It's good to be returning for another year," said Zimmerman. "I feel fortunate to play where I grew up and I look forward to another successful year and winning the championship."
Zimmerman will serve as a key component in helping to coach behind the bench at the Denver Cutthroats third annual Open Tryouts on Friday, August 22 through Sunday, August 24 at Edge Ice Arena in Littleton, Colo. Fans are also encouraged to join in on the fun for the team's inaugural Fan Fest from 12:00 - 2:00 PM on Saturday, August 23 at Edge. Tryouts and the Fan Fest are open and free to the public. For a full list of Saturday's festivities and the complete open tryouts schedule, visit DenverCutthroats.com.
The Cutthroats will return to the Denver Coliseum for their third season in the fall of 2014. For season tickets and mini-plans, visit DenverCutthroats.com or call 303.295.3474.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from August 13, 2014
- Mavericks Challenge KC Celebrities in ALS Ice Bucket Challenge - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Re-Sign Martens; Add Hosmer - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Hook Former Fish, Sign Forward TJ Fox - Arizona Sundogs
- Allen Americans To Celebrate Allen Eagles Night - Allen Americans
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats - Denver Cutthroats
- Trevor Ludwig Turns to Americans Fans for Help in Selecting His Next Jersey Number - Allen Americans
- Big Men Down Under: Sawyer and Harvey Play in Australia - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster