Cutthroats Fall to Mavericks in 4-2 Final
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Three third period goals by the Missouri Mavericks was the difference on Friday night as they propelled their way to a 4-2 win over the Denver Cutthroats in front of 5,255 at the Independence Events Center.
The Cutthroats (28-25-8) fall four points back of fifth place Missouri (31-23-6) with the loss and now sit in a sixth place tie with the Quad City Mallards. Despite the loss, Denver's magic number to clinch a playoff spot was trimmed to five points after the Bloomington Blaze lost to Quad City.
Brad Smyth extended his point streak to 12 games with a pair of assists. AJ Gale scored his league-leading 39th goal of the season. Troy Schwab added Denver's second goal at 2:02 of the second period on a 3-on-2 rush with Gale and Smyth.
Ryan Jardine tallied the game-winner for the Mavericks with just under three minutes to play in the game after Jesse Perrin tied the game 1:39 into the third period. Sebastien Thinel added an empty-net goal with just over a minute to play to seal the final score.
Denver's Kieran Millan and Missouri's Mathieu Corbeil shined throughout the evening, especially through the first two periods when the teams combined for 47 shots. 17 of Corbeil's 36 saves came in the middle period to keep the game within reach for Missouri, who trailed 2-0 until the final seconds when Evan Vossen put the Mavericks on the board.
Millan's display came at the start of the game as the rookie netminder weathered an offensive storm from the Mavericks before Gale opened up the game's scoring with 6:26 remaining in the first on a rebound goal.
Denver did not receive a power play chance in the game. Missouri finished 0-for-3 on the man-advantage.
The Cutthroats continue their road trip on Saturday when visit the Bloomington Blaze for the first of a two-game set. Puck drop is set for 6:05 PM MST. Denver can lock up a playoff spot with a pair of wins this weekend against the Blaze.
1. Ryan Jardine (MIZ)
2. Kellan Tochkin (MIZ)
3. Brad Smyth (DEN)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2013
- Rush Secure Fourth-Consecutive Trip to Postseason Despite 4-2 Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Powers Oilers Past Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards, Genesis Team up to Raise $24,600 for Genesis Outpatient Rehabilitation - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Come Back for 4-2 Win over Cutthroats - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Fall to Mavericks in 4-2 Final - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Drop Bloomington 5-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Edge Charge Back But Drop Season Opener - Bloomington Blaze
- Late Tiebreaker Pushes Mallards Past Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Thunder Prepare for Home Stretch, Take on Sundogs this Weekend - Wichita Thunder
- Connor Equipment Manager of the Year Runner-Up - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Eric Meland - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fedorowich Receives Top Honor as Trainer of the Year - Arizona Sundogs
- Three-Peat: Romeo Vivit Earns Third Consecutive Equipment Manager of the Year Award - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Announces Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager of the Year - CHL
- Fans Experience Allen Americans Hockey at New Level - Allen Americans
- Oilers Recognized in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Score Well in the Best of the Best Awards - Allen Americans
- Blaze Receive Honors in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Shine in CHL's 'Best of the Best' Poll - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Rank Near Top of Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Named 13 Times in CHL's Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Rush Faithful Defend Title of 'Best Fans' - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Releases Best of the Best Poll Results - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards' Lang Among CHL's "Best of the Best" - Quad City Mallards
- CHL 2012-13 Best of the Best Poll Results Announced - CHL
- Cutthroats Score Big in CHL's Annual "Best of the Best" Poll - Denver Cutthroats
- Shots from the Point for March 15, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster