Blaze Fall to Mallards in Defensive Season Finale
MOLINE - The Bloomington Blaze, fueled by Mid-Illini Credit Union, lost a defensive battle in the season finale by a 2-1 score to the Quad City Mallards on Sunday at iWireless Center.
After a scoreless first period, Jon Booras put the Blaze on the board with a wrister from the slot as a power play ended on assists from Sean O'Connor and goalie Pier-Olivier Pelletier. The Mallards evened the game at 1-1 when Matt Boyd cleaned up a rebound from a tumbling drive by Mickey Lang with 10:52 left in the second period. The Flock capitalized on a 5-on-3 power play that also included the ejection of Blaze forward Kyle Bochek when Mickey Lang wristed a drive from the left circle with 9:59 remaining just nine seconds into the two-man advantage for what proved to be the game-winner.
Pelletier took the loss with 30 saves in the duel of goaltenders as Neil Conway earned the win with 31 saves. The Blaze were 1-for2 on the power play while the Mallards were 1-for-6.
The Blaze end their season in ninth place in the Berry Conference standings of the Central Hockey League with a record of 28-35-2 for 58 points, which is four wins and three points better than last season. The Mallards finish 34-26-6 in sixth place and will face the Fort Worth Brahmas in the first round of the playoffs beginning next week.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2013
- Thunder Announce Opening Round Schedule vs. Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Set to Face Thunder in Opening - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush for the Cup 2013: Rush vs. Mavericks Opening Round Schedule - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Close Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Missouri - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks to Face Rapid City Rush in Opening Round, Schedule Announced - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Fall in Regular Season Finale, 5-2, to Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Close Regular Season with Fifth Straight Win - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Fall to Americans in Season Finale and Swan Song for Fleck - Tulsa Oilers
- Blaze Fall to Mallards in Defensive Season Finale - Bloomington Blaze
- Mallards Open Playoffs Thursday Night in Fort Worth - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Host Playoff Games April 3 and April 5 - Quad City Mallards
- Brahmas Announce Playoff Series Schedule - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Denver Falls in 2-1 Thriller to Close out Regular Season - Denver Cutthroats
- Sundogs Sweep Brahmas, 2-0 Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas End Regular Season with 2-0 Loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers Rolled by Thunder in 5-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Painchaud Scores Twice, Thunder Win in Tulsa 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.