Denver Falls in 2-1 Thriller to Close out Regular Season
RAPID CITY, S.D. - It was a fitting finish to the regular season series between the Denver Cutthroats and Rapid City Rush as the two teams needed a shootout for the seventh time this season to determine the winner with the Rush prevailing for a 2-1 win on Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.
Jesse Schultz was credited with the game-winner as he and Damian Surma each scored in the shootout, while Denver was blanked by Tim Boron through four rounds.
The thriller comes just 24 hours after the Cutthroats (30-26-10) topped the Rush in overtime, and brings a close to the regular season for both teams as they prepare for the opening round of the Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Playoffs next week. It was the 11th one-goal finish between the two teams in 16 total meetings this season, and the eighth to go past regulation.
The Cutthroats finish the season 9-3-4 against Rapid City (35-24-7).
After a scoreless first period, Winston Day Chief put the Rush on the board 51 seconds in the middle period with a power play goal in front of the net. Three minutes later AJ Gale snapped a wrist shot from the left circle for his 46th of the season and his fifth goal in the last two games against Rapid City. Glenn Cacaro tallied the assist.
Kent Patterson suffered the loss despite a 31-save performance for Denver.
Rapid City finished 1-for-5 on the power play while the Cutthroats were scoreless in their only chance.
Denver now must wait for the Central Hockey League's final games to be played on Sunday to determine who their first round opponent will be in the postseason. The team's first-round playoff schedule will be finalized on Monday and available at http://www.denvercutthroats.com.
1. Tim Boron (RPD)
2. Kent Patterson (DEN)
3. Jesse Schultz (RPD)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2013
- Thunder Announce Opening Round Schedule vs. Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Set to Face Thunder in Opening - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush for the Cup 2013: Rush vs. Mavericks Opening Round Schedule - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Close Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Missouri - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks to Face Rapid City Rush in Opening Round, Schedule Announced - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Fall in Regular Season Finale, 5-2, to Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Close Regular Season with Fifth Straight Win - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Fall to Americans in Season Finale and Swan Song for Fleck - Tulsa Oilers
- Blaze Fall to Mallards in Defensive Season Finale - Bloomington Blaze
- Mallards Open Playoffs Thursday Night in Fort Worth - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Host Playoff Games April 3 and April 5 - Quad City Mallards
- Brahmas Announce Playoff Series Schedule - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Denver Falls in 2-1 Thriller to Close out Regular Season - Denver Cutthroats
- Sundogs Sweep Brahmas, 2-0 Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas End Regular Season with 2-0 Loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers Rolled by Thunder in 5-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Painchaud Scores Twice, Thunder Win in Tulsa 5-2 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster