Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win
FARGO, ND - The Lincoln Saltdogs launched three two-run home runs in three straight innings to dispatch of the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 9-4 on Sunday afternoon.
Tyler Herron earned the win for the Saltdogs (5-5) while beating his former team. The righty notched his second quality start by allowing just three runs over 6.2 innings. Trey McNutt earned the loss for the RedHawks (5-4).
Fargo set the tone in the first couple innings. Tommy Mendonca picked up an RBI single in the first inning while Devan Ahart came through with a sacrifice fly in the second inning to make it 2-0. Then, Chad Hinshaw threw out Maikol Gonzalez at the plate to end the inning and keep it a two-run game.
The Saltdogs' offense got going next. Brant Whiting kept the third inning going with a two-out single to bring up Angel Reyes. The righty launched a two-run homer to tie the game.
Brandon Jacobs continued the pattern in the fourth inning. He belted another two-run homer, his second long ball of the season, to give Lincoln the two-run lead.
Whiting reached on a walk in the fifth inning to bring up Reyes again. The slugger pounded his second homer of the game to stretch the lead to 6-2. Reyes leads the league with five home runs and 15 RBIs.
The two teams traded runs in the seventh inning to make it 7-3. The Saltdogs put the finishing touches on in the top of the ninth. Whiting recorded another single and Reyes reached on an error. Then Curt Smith knocked them in with a single to bring the lead to 9-3. The RedHawks score a run on a hit and an error to bring it to the 9-4 final score.
The Saltdogs head further north to take on the Winnipeg Goldeyes next. First pitch on Monday is at 7:00 PM with coverage beginning at 6:30 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 27, 2018
- Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps (Part 2) - AA
- Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6 - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- First Family Sunday Crowd Sees Dogs Nearly Complete Comeback - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Swept in Wichita, Open Long Homestand Tomorrow - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Sweep in the Windy City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Ahart Hits 3rd Home Run in Two Days in Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Rally, Strong Pitching Lift Goldeyes in Rubber Game - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.