Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6
CLEBURNE, Texas - Cam Monger went 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and three RBI, and the Railroaders salvaged the series finale of a three-game set with a 9-6 win over the Sioux City Explorers at Mercy Field on Sunday evening.
Monger drove in two runs with his first double as part of a five-run first inning. The first four Railroaders singled before Jordan Dean and Levi Scott, who went 3-for-5 with three runs scored, drove in the first two runs.
Patrick Palmeiro hit a two-run homer, breaking a 43.2-inning homerless streak, with two outs in the second, and extending the lead to 7-0. Blake Grant-Parks hit his first home run of 2018 in the third, a solo shot that gave Cleburne an 8-1 lead.
Dylan Mouzakes cruised through seven innings, but allowed four straight Explorers to reach to begin the eighth inning. A pair of run-scoring doubles, including one from Nate Samson - who finished with four RBI - scored three runs and halved the deficit to 9-6.
Cleburne pegged Sioux City starter Luis Mateo for nine runs on 14 hits with one walk and eight strikeouts over five innings, while Mouzakes allowed six runs over seven-plus innings, throwing a season-high 109 pitches.
Cortland Cox pitched the ninth, and worked around an error with a game-ending 1-6-3 double play for his first save of 2018.
Cleburne, after dropping the first two of the series, snapped Sioux City's five-game winning streak and moved 2.5 games back of the Explorers in the South Division.
The Railroaders now head south to begin a four-game set with the Wichita Wingnuts at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Game 1 is set for Monday evening, with a special first-pitch time of 5:05 p.m. Cleburne will throw RHP Jared Mortensen for the second time, and a starter for Wichita has not yet been determined. Pregame coverage on TuneIn Radio starts at 4:45.
The Railroaders return home Saturday, June 1 for a three-game series with the St. Paul Saints. Tickets are always available at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 27, 2018
- Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps (Part 2) - AA
- Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6 - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- First Family Sunday Crowd Sees Dogs Nearly Complete Comeback - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Swept in Wichita, Open Long Homestand Tomorrow - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Sweep in the Windy City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Ahart Hits 3rd Home Run in Two Days in Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Rally, Strong Pitching Lift Goldeyes in Rubber Game - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.