'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Five innings of one-run ball from Daniel Minor and solo homers from Colin Willis and Wilfredo Gimenez led the RailCats to a 3-2 victory over the St. Paul Saints in the rubber game at CHS Field on Sunday evening. The win gave Gary their first series victory of the season and concluded their six-game road trip with a 3-3 record.
Willis ended the scoreless drought with a solo shot to right-center field to lead off the top of the fourth. Garrett Copeland followed with a walk before Gimenez advanced Copeland to second with a single to center. Reggie Wilson then reached on a fielder's choice before stealing second, giving the 'Cats runners on second and third. D.K. Carey increased Gary's lead to 2-0 with an RBI single to right.
St. Paul (6-3) cut the Gary lead to 2-1 with a run in the bottom of the fifth. With the bases loaded and one out, Richard Prigatano brought home Dante Bichette Jr. with an RBI infield single.
Gary (4-5) regained their two-run lead on Gimenez's solo home run to the lawn seats in left. The homer was Gimenez's first of the year and the RailCats fourth of the season.
The Saints reduced the 'Cats lead to one again with a two-out run in the bottom of the eighth. With Brady Shoemaker on second, Jayce Boyd delivered an RBI single to center, making it a 3-2 game.
Minor (2-0) recorded the win in his second start against St. Paul. Minor went five innings for the third straight start, yielding one run on five hits (three infield singles) and a walk while striking out three.
Adam Quintana (1) and Keaton Steele (1) each collected holds while Gabe Perez (1) secured the win with the four-out save. Quintana (1) retired all six batters he faced, three via the strikeout, in two scoreless innings out of the bullpen while Steele allowed one run on two hits in 2/3 of an inning. Perez retired four of the six hitters he faced, one via the strikeout, in the RailCats first save situation of the season
Vinny Nittoli (1-1) was tagged the loss in his second start. The right-hander allowed three runs on seven hits and three walks while striking out six in 5.1 innings.
The RailCats begin their season-long 10-game homestand on Monday afternoon against the Chicago Dogs at 4:10 p.m. LHP Alex Gunn (0-1, 5.40) makes his third start of the year for Gary while Chicago has yet to announce their starter.
Monday's game is the inaugural regular-season game vs. the Chicago Dogs and is Ketchup Appreciation Day, a Memorial Day Matinee, All You Can Eat Night ($10 wristbands for hot dogs, popcorn and peanuts) and another MetroPCS Monday at U.S. Steel Yard.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 27, 2018
- Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps (Part 2) - AA
- Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6 - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- First Family Sunday Crowd Sees Dogs Nearly Complete Comeback - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Swept in Wichita, Open Long Homestand Tomorrow - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Sweep in the Windy City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Ahart Hits 3rd Home Run in Two Days in Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Rally, Strong Pitching Lift Goldeyes in Rubber Game - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- RailCats Announce New Special Events and Facility Rental Opportunities
- RailCats 2020 Season Suspended Due to COVID-19 Pandemic