Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats
ST. PAUL, MN - The St. Paul Saints had two big opportunities to tie the game, once with the bases loaded and one out in the fifth and the other with a man on at second and nobody out in the ninth, but neither time could they come up with the clutch hit. The Saints lost 3-2 on Sunday evening at CHS Field to the Gary SouthShore Railcats in front of 8,519. The loss drops the Saints to 6-3 on the season.
With the Saints down 2-0 in the fifth Dante Bichette Jr. led off with a single to left. With one out Kes Carter reached on an infield single to second and Josh Allen's infield single to short loaded the bases. Richard Prigatano made it 2-1 with an infield single to short. The Saints, however wouldn't score another run in the inning as Max Murphy struck out and Brady Shoemaker flew out to left to end the inning.
The Railcats took a 3-1 lead in the sixth on a solo homer from Wilfredo Gimenez, his first of the season.
The Saints answered in the eighth when Shoemaker singled to center with two outs. He advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on an RBI single from Jayce Boyd.
The Saints had a prime opportunity to tie it in the ninth when Bichette Jr. reached on a two base throwing error by second baseman Garrett Copeland. Justin O'Conner, however, fouled the first pitch off, bunted the third pitch foul and on the ninth pitch of the at bat, with the count 3-2, struck out for the fourth time in the game. Kes Carter then sent a deep fly ball to left, but Reggie Wilson made the catch in front of the wall. The game ended on a Josh Allen groundout to third.
Saints starter Vinny Nittoli was strong, but took the loss going 5.1 innings allowing three runs on seven hits while walking two and striking out six.
The Saints now embark on a 10-game roadtrip that starts at AirHogs Stadium against the Texas AirHogs on Monday night at 7:05 p.m. The Saints send RHP Jake Esch (1-1, 8.64) to the mound against AirHogs RHP Sun Jianzeng (0-0, 5.40). The game can be heard on Alt 93.3 FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 27, 2018
- Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps (Part 2) - AA
- Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6 - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- First Family Sunday Crowd Sees Dogs Nearly Complete Comeback - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Swept in Wichita, Open Long Homestand Tomorrow - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Sweep in the Windy City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Ahart Hits 3rd Home Run in Two Days in Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Rally, Strong Pitching Lift Goldeyes in Rubber Game - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Champions: Saints Claim First Title in 15 Years with 6-3 Victory, Sweep Series
- Saints City of Baseball Museum Honored with Top Ballpark Improvement by Ballpark Digest
- Lang Haunts Former Team, Saints Win Game Two of American Association Finals 3-2, One Win Shy of Title
- Saints Draw First Blood, Take Game One of American Association Finals 12-3
- Finals Tickets Now on Sale