Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes signed left-handed pitcher Josh Blanco on Sunday.
Blanco was 2-2 with three saves and a 4.85 ERA in 34 relief appearances last season for the Texas AirHogs. The El Paso, Texas native pitched 39.0 innings, allowing 37 hits, 11 walks, and only two home runs. Blanco struck out 52 batters, and has finished with more strikeouts than innings pitched in six of his first seven professional seasons.
Blanco was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels in the sixth round in 2008 out of Franklin Pierce High School in El Paso. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Blanco played three seasons in the Angels' farm system before making two starts for the American Association's El Paso Diablos in 2011. Blanco then stepped away from the game for three years before returning to professional baseball in 2015 with the Can-Am League's Ottawa Champions. The 28-year-old left-hander helped Ottawa win the Can-Am League championship in 2016 under former Goldeyes' manager Hal Lanier . During his time in Ottawa, Blanco received a second opportunity in affiliated baseball when his contract was purchased by the Texas Rangers during the 2016 season.
Blanco is 13-14 lifetime with six saves and a 4.33 ERA in 138 appearances (116 in relief), and has averaged 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings during his career.
On Thursday, the Goldeyes released infielder Jose Sermo. The Goldeyes' roster currently stands at 23 active players, which is the American Association maximum during the regular season.
The Goldeyes open a four-game series against the Lincoln Saltdogs on Monday night. First pitch at Shaw Park is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by calling 1-855-GOLDEYE, visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 27, 2018
- Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps (Part 2) - AA
- Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6 - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- First Family Sunday Crowd Sees Dogs Nearly Complete Comeback - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Swept in Wichita, Open Long Homestand Tomorrow - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Sweep in the Windy City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Ahart Hits 3rd Home Run in Two Days in Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Rally, Strong Pitching Lift Goldeyes in Rubber Game - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.