Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders
SIOUX CITY, IA - The Explorers lose the series finale to the Cleburne Railroaders by a score of 9-6 snapping their five game win streak and a chance to sweep the series.
The X's had a chance to do what no other Sioux City team had done before which was to start a season 9-1. Unfortunately the Explorers were unable to accomplish this feat.
The Cleburne Railroaders struck fast and often in the top of the first, as the first four players reached on base hits and all came around to score. Cameron Monger had the big hit of the inning roping a double that bounced off the left field wall to score two and make it 4-0 Cleburne. Michael Pair would drive him home with a base hit complete the five run rally for the Railroaders.
Patrick Palmeiro would hit a two run home run in the top of the second to make it 6-0.
Sioux City would get on the board in the bottom of the second when Nate Samson would lead off the inning with a base hit. The X's would load the bases with one out after a Jose Sermo base hit and a Dexture McCall infield single. Dylan Kelly would bring home Samson with a ground out to first and make it 7-1 Cleburne. But a fly out to center field on the next at bat stranded runners on second and third.
A solo home run for Blake Grant-Parks in the third made it 8-1 Cleburne.
Sioux City would add two more in the third when Nate Samson lined a two run home run over the left field wall. And cut the score to 8-3.
But Cleburne would add their ninth and final run in the fourth when Levi Scott singled for his third hit of the game and scored his third run of the game on Cameron Monger's second double, picking up his third RBI.
Explorers starter Luis Mateo was saddled with the loss in this one, going 5 innings, allowing 9 runs, on 14 hits, striking out 8 and walking 1.
Ryan Flores and Tyler Fallwell would shut down the Railroaders for the next four innings. Allowing only one hit with Flores pitching 3 perfect innings. Continuing the X's bullpen scoreless innings streak to 24.1 innings.
Sioux City attempted to mount a comeback in the bottom of the eighth off of Cleburne starter Dylan Mousakes. Mousakes went 7 innings, giving up 6 runs on 10 hits with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks. He allowed the first four men to reach base. Durango walked, Michael Lang doubled and drove in Durango, Jay Austin would single bringing Nate Samson up with runners on the corners and no one out. Samson would double bringing home Lang and Austin cutting the deficit to three at 9-6. Baum would come up next with Samson at second and no body out. Samson would take off on the pitch attempting to steal third, Baum though swung and popped the pitch up to very shallow right field. Samson would attempt to get back to second but Railroaders second baseman Jordan Dean made the catch and a quick throw to second to double off Samson. Jose Sermo would pop out to short to end the inning.
Cortland Cox would come in and pitch the ninth, facing the minimum hitters after getting Daniel Jackson to ground into a 1-6-3 game ending double play. The Explorers hit into three double plays in the game.
The Explorers will begin a four game series with the Kansas City T-Bones on Monday night with first pitch scheduled for 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 27, 2018
- Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps (Part 2) - AA
- Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6 - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- First Family Sunday Crowd Sees Dogs Nearly Complete Comeback - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Swept in Wichita, Open Long Homestand Tomorrow - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Sweep in the Windy City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Ahart Hits 3rd Home Run in Two Days in Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Rally, Strong Pitching Lift Goldeyes in Rubber Game - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.