Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep
WICHITA, Kan. - Corbin Osburn tossed five strong innings in his professional debut, and the Wichita Wingnuts completed the sweep with a 4-2 victory over the Texas AirHogs on Sunday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
A true rookie signed yesterday out of Missouri Southern State, Osburn (1-0) allowed just three hits and one run while striking out three over his five innings of work. The lone run he allowed came in the third, when Meng Weiqiang bounced into a double play with the bases loaded.
The Wingnuts (5-4) again jumped on Texas early, plating single runs in the second, third, and fourth innings against AirHogs starter Gan Quan (0-2). Isaiah Aluko's RBI groundout drove home John Nester to open the scoring, then Abel Nieves smacked a solo homer in the third to give the Wingnuts a 2-1 lead. Leo Vargas added a run-scoring single in the fourth.
Nester and Aluko combined to produce the final Wichita run in the sixth, as Nester led off the frame with a walk and came around to score when Aluko rammed a triple into the right field corner to make it 4-1. The AirHogs (1-8) threatened in the eighth, getting a run off reliever Brady Bowen before Daniel Tillman came on to strikeout pinch-hitter Chen Chen with the bases loaded. Tillman then retired the AirHogs in order in the ninth to secure his second save.
The Wingnuts will next kick off a four-game series with the Cleburne Railroaders, beginning Monday at 5:05 PM. Travis Banwart (1-1, 3.27) will get the start for Wichita in the opener, while the Railroaders have not yet announced their starter. The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 27, 2018
- Win Streak Ends as X's Fall to Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps (Part 2) - AA
- Railroaders Slug Season-High 15 Hits, Win 9-6 - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Claim First Series of Season with 3-2 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Close out Homestand with 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- First Family Sunday Crowd Sees Dogs Nearly Complete Comeback - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Swept in Wichita, Open Long Homestand Tomorrow - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Sweep in the Windy City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homers Propel Saltdogs to Series Finale Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Ahart Hits 3rd Home Run in Two Days in Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Add Hard-Throwing Lefty - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Rally, Strong Pitching Lift Goldeyes in Rubber Game - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recaps - AA
- Osburn Sparkles in Debut as Wingnuts Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.