Thaiss Blast Propels Bees
In front of a sellout crowd of 14, 511 the Salt Lake Bees defeated the New Orleans Baby Cakes 6-3 Saturday night at Smith's Ballpark.
Matt Thaiss led the way with a terrific night at the plate, going 2-for-4 with four RBIs, including a three-run blast in the fifth inning with the Bees trailing 2-0. Once the Bees got the lead, they added insurance in the next inning, putting up three more to keep the Baby Cakes at bay. Taylor Ward also had a strong game at bat, going 3-for-4 with a pair of RBIs.
Salt Lake improved to 12-0 with starter John Lamb on the mound. Lamb lasted three and two-thirds innings, allowing two runs, none earned, on three hits while striking out three batters. Ralston Cash (5-2) came on in relief and earned the victory after throwing two scoreless innings in which he struck out four.
The Bees and the Baby Cakes will meet again for the third game of a four-game set Sunday at 1:05 at Smith's Ballpark. The Bees will be rebranded as Las Abejas de Salt Lake for the next two games with Hispanic-themed jerseys and in-game promotions. Tickets are available at slbees.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2018
- Thaiss Blast Propels Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Beats 'Cakes 6-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas Double up Cubs 4-2 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Falls to El Paso 4-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Homer Three Times in Eighth Inning But Fall to Reno - Memphis Redbirds
- Whalen Dominant As Tacoma Shuts Out Nashville, 1-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Blanked by Rainiers in Pitcher's Duel - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Tacoma Rainiers (29-33) at Nashville Sounds (30-29) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Nots - June 9, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (37-25) vs Reno Aces (28-34) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Memphis - Reno Aces
- Express Vaporize 51s 12-5 - Round Rock Express
- Fresno Capitalizes with Furious First Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chasers Crush Isotopes 16-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-run 1st propels Grizzlies to 8-5 win over the Dodgers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Kelly stifles Sky Sox offense in series opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Sky Sox Fall to River Cats Friday in Series Opener - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Underwood Matches a Career High as I-Cubs Fall to El Paso - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Shutout in Salt Lake - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Can't Catch up to Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Castro's Hitting Streak Snapped, Isotopes Drop Opener at Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Bees Blank Baby Cakes - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.