Bees Blank Baby Cakes
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake Bees blanked the visiting New Orleans Baby Cakes 4-0 Friday night at Smith's Ballpark.
The Bees scored two runs in each of the first two innings and that was all that was needed for the victory. David Fletcher extended his double-digit hitting streak to 11 games with a double to center to score Eric Young Jr. in the second inning. It was the 25th double of the season for Fletcher, which leads all of Minor League Baseball. Fletcher finished 3-for-4 to raise his batting average to .356 on the season. Eric Young Jr. and Matt Thaiss also had multi-hit games in the Bees victory.
Salt Lake pitching combined for their first shutout since August 24, 2017. Starter Felix Pena threw six quality innings, allowing zero runs on five hits while striking out five. He was relieved by Taylor Cole who threw two scoreless innings while giving up one hit and striking out three. Jake Jewell finished the game with a spotless ninth. The Bees became the last Minor or Major League team to be involved in a shutout for or against during the 2018 season.
The two teams will meet again Saturday night at 6:35 at Smith's Ballpark. It will be Star Wars night at the ballpark, featuring Star Wars uniforms, characters and music during postgame fireworks. Tickets are available at www.slbees.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2018
- Thaiss Blast Propels Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Beats 'Cakes 6-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chihuahuas Double up Cubs 4-2 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Iowa Falls to El Paso 4-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Homer Three Times in Eighth Inning But Fall to Reno - Memphis Redbirds
- Whalen Dominant As Tacoma Shuts Out Nashville, 1-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Blanked by Rainiers in Pitcher's Duel - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Tacoma Rainiers (29-33) at Nashville Sounds (30-29) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Nots - June 9, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (37-25) vs Reno Aces (28-34) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Memphis - Reno Aces
- Express Vaporize 51s 12-5 - Round Rock Express
- Fresno Capitalizes with Furious First Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chasers Crush Isotopes 16-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-run 1st propels Grizzlies to 8-5 win over the Dodgers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Kelly stifles Sky Sox offense in series opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Sky Sox Fall to River Cats Friday in Series Opener - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Underwood Matches a Career High as I-Cubs Fall to El Paso - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Shutout in Salt Lake - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Can't Catch up to Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Castro's Hitting Streak Snapped, Isotopes Drop Opener at Omaha - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Bees Blank Baby Cakes - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.