Tacoma Falls Short In 6-1 Loss To Colorado Springs
TACOMA, Wash. - Daniel Vogelbach launched his 18th home run of the season and Seth Mejias-Brean extended his lengthy hitting streak but the Tacoma Rainiers (55-57) fell to the Colorado Spring Sky Sox (59-51) by a final score of 6-1 Sunday afternoon at Cheney Stadium.
Vogelbach paced the Rainiers offense by going one-for-three with one run, a home run, one RBI and a walk. Center fielder Ian Miller (1x3) tallied his 13th double of the season and Mejias-Brean extended his team-best hitting streak to 15 games during the loss.
Tacoma starter Erasmo Ramirez (0-2) allowed three earned runs across four innings and struck out four Colorado Springs batters. Ramirez also walked two batters and threw 57 of his 81 pitches for strikes during his fifth start for the Rainiers this season.
Right-handed reliever Christian Bergman (4.0) allowed two runs across four frames while striking out one batter and walking three. Righty Shawn Armstrong (1.0) then tossed a pair of strikeouts during a scoreless ninth inning to lower his ERA to 2.06 and raise his strikeout total to 66, the most of any Rainiers reliever this season.
Tacoma and Colorado Springs return to action Monday night at 7:05 p.m. for game three of the current four-game series. Lefty Ross Detwiler (2-5, 5.76) is slated to start for the Rainiers and right-hander Aaron Wilkerson (3-3, 2.54) will be on the hill for the Sky Sox.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 5, 2018
- Coleman Walks the Dogs with Homer - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Uses Walk-Off Homer to Bury Round Rock 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Pitching Stifles Storm Chasers - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Blank Chasers 6-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Comeback falls short for River Cats in Nashville - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Keep Marching On, Win Seventh Straight - Nashville Sounds
- Vargas Ties Record with 31-Game Hit Streak - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Trump Aces in Slugfest - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Bounce Back with 6-1 Game Two Victory in Tacoma - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Tacoma Falls Short In 6-1 Loss To Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies can't hang on in 6-5 loss (10) at Memphis - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Walk off in 10 Innings against Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Wins Home Run Derby, Tops Las Vegas 9-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Sacramento River Cats (45-67) at Nashville Sounds (56-55) - Nashville Sounds
- Pena Leads Bees to Third Straight Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. OKC Dogers - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 5, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (70-42) vs Fresno Grizzlies (64-48) - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Offense Stays Red Hot In 9-3 Victory Over Sky Sox - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vargas Extends Hit Streak to 30 in Aces Victory - Reno Aces
- Buck Stopped by Buchanan in Reno - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Baby Cakes Blast Isotopes 18-7 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.