Storm Defeat Black Hawks 5-3
Kearney, NE. - The Tri-City Storm defeated the Waterloo Black Hawks by a final score of 5-3 Thursday night at the Viaero Center. Hunter Strand (2), Rhett Pitlick, Adam Klapka, and Kieran Cebrian scored Tri-City's goals in the victory. Todd Scott posted his fifteenth win of the season in goal. The Storm return to action tomorrow in a home game at the Viaero Center. "Stormy's Birthday" is the promotion and $5 Kids Tickets are available for purchase. Tickets for tomorrow's home game may be purchased in advance online at www.StormHockey.com or by calling the Viaero Center Box Office during Box Office hours. Saturday's home game is sold out. Puck drop for tomorrow's game is set for 7:05pm.
Rhett Pitlick scored his eleventh goal of the season just over seven minutes into Thursday's 1st period to give Tri-City a 1-0 lead in the game. Hunter Strand recorded his team-leading twenty-second assist of the season on the play. With just over three minutes left to play in the 1st period, Waterloo's Kyler Kleven netted his ninth goal of the year to bring the game to a 1-1 tie. Cooper Wylie recorded the lone assist on the scoring play. Hunter Strand scored his first goal of the game and fourteenth goal of the season at 18:31 of the 1st period to give Tri-City a 2-1 lead. Strand's goal was scored shorthanded and was assisted by Carter Mazur. With five seconds left to play in the 1st period, Max Sasson scored his thirteenth goal of the year to tie the game at 2-2. Wyatt Schingoethe registered the assist. Each team recorded ten shots on net during the 1st period and the game entered the 2nd period in a tie.
Adam Klapka scored a breakaway goal at 4:38 of the 2nd period to give the Storm its third lead of the night. Less than one minute later, at 5:26 of the 2nd period, Kieran Cebrian scored his second goal of the season to put Tri-City ahead by two goals. The goal was assisted by Cole McWard. With less than four minutes to play in the 2nd period, Waterloo's Casey Severo scored his fourth goal of the season to cut Tri-City's lead in half. Tri-City outshot Waterloo 12-7 in the 2nd period and the team led by one goal after the period.
Hunter Strand scored the only goal of the 3rd period to secure the Storm's 5-3 win. Strand's goal was his second of the game and fifteenth of the season. Carter Mazur recorded his second assist of the game and seventeenth assist of the year on the play. Todd Scott made nineteen saves on twenty-two shots to record the win in net. Waterloo's Emmett Croteau stopped twelve of Tri-City's sixteen shots in the opening twenty-six minutes of Thursday's game and recorded the loss in net. Croteau was replaced in net during the 2nd period by Jack Williams. Williams finished the game by making seventeen saves on eighteen shots in nearly thirty-three minutes of playing time.
Hunter Strand was named the 1st Star of the Game with Kieran Cebrian and Carter Mazur picking up 2nd & 3rd Star honors.
Tri-City returns to action on Friday, March 19th in a home game against the Sioux Falls Stampede. For the latest information regarding the Tri-City Storm, including tickets to the next home game, visit www.StormHockey.com.
Images from this story
Tri-City Storm exchange congratulations after a goal
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2021
- Overtime at the Ice Box - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Buccaneers Sink Lancers in Season Series Finale, 3-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Steel Dominate Third for 7-3 Win over Dubuque - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Drop 4-3 Loss to Tri-City Storm - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Balanced Effort Fuels Musketeer Rally over Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Gameday Preview: vs. Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Battle Stampede at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
- Mikesch Named Head Coach for All-American Game - Green Bay Gamblers
- Mason Lohrei Breaks Record - Green Bay Gamblers
- Steel Fans to Return; 25% Capacity Announced - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Sunday, April 18 Game Rescheduled - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Week 20 Preview - Fargo Force
- Broz Peart and Lamoureux Selected for BioSteel All-American Game - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Announce Change to Schedule - Sioux City Musketeers
- Season Ticket Renewals Set - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Weekend Preview: Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Defeat Black Hawks 5-3 - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.