Stampede Drop 4-3 Loss to Tri-City Storm
KEARNEY, Neb. - The Sioux Falls Stampede dropped a hard fought 4-3 game to the Tri-City Storm at the Viaero Center Friday night. Three different players scored for the Herd, while Trent Burnham made the start in net, stopping 24 of 28 shots.
The Herd looked to extend their 5-0-1 regulation, unbeaten streak against the Tri-City Storm dating back to last season, however, Adam Klapka gave the Storm the opening goal of the game. Kyler Kovich assisted on the play for the lone goal of the first period.
Rookie forward Tyler Haskins tied the game just 19 seconds into the second period. Cole Sillinger assisted on the play to extend his point streak to 10 games. Sillinger then scored a goal of his own from Haskins 47 seconds later to make it 2-1.
The Storm were able to grab a goal back at 5:27 from Caden Villegas to even the score, but the back-and-forth battle continued as Jack Smith sniped a puck past goaltender Todd Scott to regain the lead at 10:48. Kieran Cebrian collected his third goal of the season at 12:36 to even the score at three each at the end of two periods.
Mark Estapa tallied the final goal of the game at 2:09 of the third period on goaltender Trent Burnham. The Herd was unable to rally and finished 0-for-4 on the power play.
The Herd will face off with the Tri-City Storm tomorrow night before a Sunday afternoon tilt against the Omaha Lancers. Puck drop at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow and 4:05 on Sunday. Fans can catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2021
- Overtime at the Ice Box - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Buccaneers Sink Lancers in Season Series Finale, 3-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Steel Dominate Third for 7-3 Win over Dubuque - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Drop 4-3 Loss to Tri-City Storm - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Balanced Effort Fuels Musketeer Rally over Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Gameday Preview: vs. Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Battle Stampede at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
- Mikesch Named Head Coach for All-American Game - Green Bay Gamblers
- Mason Lohrei Breaks Record - Green Bay Gamblers
- Steel Fans to Return; 25% Capacity Announced - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Sunday, April 18 Game Rescheduled - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Week 20 Preview - Fargo Force
- Broz Peart and Lamoureux Selected for BioSteel All-American Game - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Announce Change to Schedule - Sioux City Musketeers
- Season Ticket Renewals Set - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Weekend Preview: Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Defeat Black Hawks 5-3 - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Stampede Stories
- Stampede Have Team Record Six Players Selected During 2021 NHL Draft
- Sillinger Selected by Columbus Blue Jackets in 1st Round of NHL Draft
- Ean Somoza Named to USHL All-Academic Team
- Stampede Release 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule
- Stampede Selects 18 in USHL Phase II Draft