Sounders FC 2 Tops Whitecaps FC 2 by a Score of 3-2 in Cascadia Clash at Starfire Stadium
TUKWILA, WASH. - Forwards Victor Mansaray and Andy Craven scored their team-leading third goals of the season in a 3-2 victory for Sounders FC 2 (2-7-4, 10 points) over conference-leading Whitecaps FC 2 (6-2-4, 22 points) Thursday evening at Starfire Stadium. Sounders FC Academy product Lorenzo Ramos opened his scoring account with a second-half game-winner as S2 snaps its seven-match winless streak. Next up, S2 continues its Cascadia stretch with a road match against Portland Timbers 2 on Tuesday, June 14 at Providence Park (4:30 p.m. PT / Live-streamed on SoundersFC.com).
Each side exchanged dangerous chances early in the match, as Seattle forward Carlos Patino's free-kick attempt landed just wide in the second minute, while midfielder Zach Mathers' shot sailed high in the 28th minute. Defender Nouhou Tolo kept the match scoreless in the eighth minute when he protected Seattle's open net with a sliding clearance.
Craven eventually opened the scoring in the 41st minute with his third goal in two games. Mathers, who wore the captain's armband for Thursday's rainy contest, drew the penalty-kick after being taken down in Whitecaps FC 2's area. Craven coolly placed the ball into the left side of the net for the 1-0 lead.
On the brink of halftime, the Whitecaps FC 2 drew level with a converted penalty after midfielder Mark O'Ojong was called for a hard challenge in front of Seattle's goal. Kyle Greig's attempt tucked into the left corner between the post and goalkeeper Tyler Miller's fingertips, as the visitors entered halftime tied at 1-1.
Just seconds into the second period, Mansaray gave the host side a 2-1 lead. Mathers sent an impressive through-ball into the opposing area, where Mansaray gathered the pass, made a half-turn and sent the ball into the far corner of the net for the 2-1 lead.
Ramos scored the winner minutes later when the Academy product sent a seething rip from 25 yards out into the back of the net. Ramos' goal gave the Rave Green a season-high three goals in the match. Tonight marked the Academy player's first career S2 start.
For the remaining 35 minutes of the contest, Whitecaps FC 2 displayed a frenetic attack. The visitors got one back in the 72nd minute on a counter-attack by Guiliano Frano, who found Miller's far net. Frano played in 25 matches and recorded two goals for S2 in 2015.
Whitecaps FC 2 nearly equalized in the 90th minute, but the shot attempt struck the right goalpost and Seattle held its 3-2 lead.
S2 takes on Portland Timbers 2 on Tuesday, June 14 at Providence Park (4:30 p.m. PT / Live-streamed on SoundersFC.com). All information on the S2 Flex Plan, season tickets, group tickets or single-match options, can be found via: www.SoundersFC.com/S2/Tickets.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 10, 2016
- Independence Fall 1-0 to Bethlehem Steel at Home - Charlotte Independence
- Roughnecks at Saint Louis Saturday - FC Tulsa
- FC Montreal Faces FC Cincinnati Saturday Night - FC Montreal
- San Antonio FC Names Nick Evans SAFC Pro Academy Director - San Antonio FC
- Tony Walls' Contract Terminated - Rochester Rhinos
- Upcoming Louisville City FC Match to Air on ESPN3, MeTV - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs Continue Tour Saturday in Reno against Sacramento - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 on Sunday - Swope Park Rangers
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Real Monarchs SLC - Sacramento Republic FC
- FC Montreal Signs Defender Brandon Onkony - FC Montreal
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 12 - USL
- Bethlehem Steel FC to Take on Charlotte Independence - Philadelphia Union II
- Arizona United Looks to Kickstart Offensive Attack against OC Blues FC - Phoenix Rising FC
- RGV FC Toros Host Oklahoma City Energy FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- City Islanders Face Philadelphia Union in U.S. Open Cup Round 4 Wednesday - Penn FC
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 for First Time in Club History - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City Hosts Hammerheads for Game 12 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Riverhounds Sign Jack Thompson - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rochester Rhinos Take on Toronto FC on the Road - Rochester Rhinos
- OCB Looks to Bounce Back against Charleston Battery - Orlando City B
- Louisville City FC Back Home Saturday vs. Wilmington - Louisville City FC
- Kickers Host Pittsburgh Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Sounders FC 2 Tops Whitecaps FC 2 by a Score of 3-2 in Cascadia Clash at Starfire Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Greig, Frano Score But WFC2 Comeback Effort Falls Short in Wild Cascadia Derby Match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Defiance Stories
- Tacoma Defiance Forward Alec Diaz Called into Puerto Rican U-20 National Team
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Defender Danny Reynolds
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Midfielder Collin Fernandez
- United Soccer League Announces 2020 Tacoma Defiance Schedule
- Tacoma Defiance to Open 2020 Season at Home on March 6