USL Weekend Preview - Week 12
June 10, 2016 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - The 12th week of the 2016 USL season includes a 13-game weekend slate that sees the first USL regular season contest at Greater Nevada Field, and a top-three Western Conference clash as the LA Galaxy II play host to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Saturday night.
Every game of the 2016 USL season will be available on the league's Match Center, with updates from across the league also available via Twitter, Facebook, Vine and Instagram.
GAMES TO WATCH
Saturday, June 11
Charleston Battery vs. Orlando City B
5 p.m. ET, MUSC Health Stadium
Charleston and Orlando meet for the second time this season on Saturday evening, as the Battery look to cement their top-four place in the Eastern Conference, and OCB looks to rebound from defeat in its last outing to push for a berth in the top eight (Match Center).
Charleston (6-3-3, 21pts) sits comfortably in fourth place after a 2-1 victory against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds last Saturday night that saw defenders O'Brian Woodbine and Taylor Mueller find the back of the net. The Battery will have leading scorer Romario Williams available again after suspension last week, with the Montreal Impact loanee having notched six of the team's 16 goals in the league this season.
Orlando (4-6-2, 14pts) saw its two-game winning streak come to an end against Louisville last weekend in a 4-3 defeat in which OCB held the lead and a man-advantage before three quick goals by the visitors saw them take control at the Titan Soccer Complex. Orlando has progressed well over the course of the season, however, and will be hopeful of getting a result on the road after playing to a 0-0 draw with the Battery in the first meeting between the teams.
Louisville City FC vs. Wilmington Hammerheads FC
7:30 p.m. ET, Slugger Field
The Eastern Conference leaders will take on a recently resurgent Wilmington side at Slugger Field on Saturday night looking to regain a three-point lead at the top of the conference standings after the New York Red Bulls II's victory on Thursday night (Match Center).
Louisville (8-1-3, 27pts) is undefeated in its past 10 games, including a 4-3 victory on the road against Orlando City B last Sunday that saw the side come back from a second-half deficit despite being down a man. The side will be without two regular starters on Saturday, however, with George Davis IV and Ben Newnam both suspended.
Wilmington, meanwhile, has recently hit a rich vein of form. The Hammerheads (4-4-3, 15pts) grabbed a dramatic 3-2 win against the Harrisburg City Islanders last Friday night as USL Player of the Week Kyle Parker scored his second goal of the game in stoppage time. The victory was Wilmington's third in a row in all competitions, and the Hammerheads will now get to test themselves against one of the conference's frontrunners as they look to progress from eighth place in the standings.
LA Galaxy II vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
10:30 p.m. ET, StubHub Center
A rematch of one of the more memorable games of the season so far pits two of the top three teams in the Western Conference against one another on Saturday night as the LA Galaxy II and Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC square off at StubHub Center (Match Center).
The Galaxy II (5-2-6, 21pts) took a victory in the first meeting on May 4 behind a hat trick from Jack McBean, which pushed Los Dos out to a three-goal lead in the second half. The Switchbacks rallied back to threaten, but the Galaxy II were able to hold on for a 3-2 win. McBean's hat trick is one of the highlights of his season so far, as he leads the USL with 11 goals in 12 appearances.
The Switchbacks (7-2-1, 22 pts) have rebounded strongly since that loss, going 4-0-1 in the league to move into first place in the Western Conference. At the forefront of the team's recent form has been Miguel Gonzalez, who has scored two goals in the past three games, including in last Saturday night's 2-0 win against Saint Louis FC. The team's defense has also tightened, conceding just twice over the five-game undefeated streak.
Real Monarchs SLC vs. Sacramento Republic FC
10:30 p.m. ET, Greater Nevada Field
After last week's first USL game in the state of Idaho, this Saturday sees the first USL game in the state of Nevada as 2017 expansion club Reno 1868 FC and Greater Nevada Field plays host to the Monarchs and Republic FC (Match Center).
Reno previously hosted Republic FC last month for an international exhibition against Liverpool FC U21s, and on Saturday will give the Battle Born Brigade their first taste of league action. In addition, the club's official uniform for the 2017 USL season will be unveiled.
For the two teams, Saturday's contest will wrap up two consecutive games between the clubs, after Sacramento took a 1-0 win on Wednesday night at Bonney Field in the USL Game of the Week on ESPN3. Adam Jahn scored the only goal early in the second half for Sacramento, as Dominik Jakubek made a pair of saves to record his sixth shutout of the season.
- The Swope Park Rangers' Kevin Oliveira became the first player in the USL to record three assists in a game on Wednesday night as the Rangers took a 4-0 win against Rio Grande Valley FC. It was the first time the feat had been accomplished since Enrique Montano for Louisville City FC on August 30, 2015 against Harrisburg.
- The LA Galaxy II's Jack McBean not only leads the USL with 11 goals, but also leads the league in total shots (36) and shots on goal (18)
- Kyle Greig's goal for Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 during Thursday's loss to Seattle Sounders FC 2 was his 10th of the season, and the 32nd in the USL regular season over the past four seasons.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES
- FC Cincinnati (6-2-3, 21pts) will welcome its seventh consecutive five-figure attendance of the season on Saturday night when it hosts FC Montreal (1-9-0, 3pts) at Nippert Stadium (7 p.m. ET | Match Center). The club, which is averaging 16,204 fans so far this season, announced it had surpassed 10,000 tickets sold on Thursday afternoon.
- Two more USL clubs announced international exhibitions this week, with the Charlotte Independence set to face the Premier League's Swansea City AFC on July 13, and Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC to host the Bundesliga's Mainz 05 on July 12.
- Rio Grande Valley FC (5-3-4, 19pts) will try to rebound from a tough midweek defeat when it hosts a key Western Conference game against OKC Energy FC (4-1-4, 16pts) at the UT RGV Soccer Complex on Saturday (8:30 p.m. ET | Match Center). Energy FC is on an eight-game undefeated streak, and has taken a victory in its past three outings, while the Toros fell 4-0 on Wednesday night on the road against the Swope Park Rangers to snap a six-game undefeated run.
- The Richmond Kickers (4-4-4, 16pts) will try to snap a five-game winless streak on Saturday when they play host to longtime rival the Pittsburgh Riverhounds (1-6-3, 6pts) at City Stadium (5 p.m. ET | Match Center). The Kickers grabbed a late 1-1 draw against FC Cincinnati a week ago, but will be aiming to get back on a winning track after their last league victory came on May 7 against Wilmington.
- Saint Louis FC (4-4-4, 16pts) will try to bounce back from a tough loss on the road against Colorado Springs on Saturday against Tulsa Roughnecks FC (2-8-1, 7pts), with another big crowd expected at World Wide Technology Soccer Park (8:30 p.m. ET | Match Center). Saint Louis is 1-0-3 at home this season, including a 0-0 draw with the Roughnecks in their first meeting on April 16, but took a 5-2 win in Tulsa in the last meeting between the teams.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 10, 2016
- Independence Fall 1-0 to Bethlehem Steel at Home - Charlotte Independence
- Roughnecks at Saint Louis Saturday - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- FC Montreal Faces FC Cincinnati Saturday Night - FC Montreal
- San Antonio FC Names Nick Evans SAFC Pro Academy Director - San Antonio FC
- Tony Walls' Contract Terminated - Rochester Rhinos
- Upcoming Louisville City FC Match to Air on ESPN3, MeTV - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs Continue Tour Saturday in Reno against Sacramento - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 on Sunday - Swope Park Rangers
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Real Monarchs SLC - Sacramento Republic FC
- FC Montreal Signs Defender Brandon Onkony - FC Montreal
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 12 - USL
- Bethlehem Steel FC to Take on Charlotte Independence - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Arizona United Looks to Kickstart Offensive Attack against OC Blues FC - Phoenix Rising FC
- RGV FC Toros Host Oklahoma City Energy FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- City Islanders Face Philadelphia Union in U.S. Open Cup Round 4 Wednesday - Penn FC
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 for First Time in Club History - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City Hosts Hammerheads for Game 12 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Riverhounds Sign Jack Thompson - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rochester Rhinos Take on Toronto FC on the Road - Rochester Rhinos
- OCB Looks to Bounce Back against Charleston Battery - Orlando City B
- Louisville City FC Back Home Saturday vs. Wilmington - Louisville City FC
- Kickers Host Pittsburgh Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Sounders FC 2 Tops Whitecaps FC 2 by a Score of 3-2 in Cascadia Clash at Starfire Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Greig, Frano Score But WFC2 Comeback Effort Falls Short in Wild Cascadia Derby Match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.