Arizona United Looks to Kickstart Offensive Attack against OC Blues FC
This Saturday, June 11, Arizona United Soccer Club heads into its match with OC Blues FC hungry for more goals. In the club's last three league matches, Arizona United has only scored three times.
In response, head coach Frank Yallop made a change in training this week. He upped the intensity and ran drills specifically designed for repetitive shots on net.
"We've done a lot of crossing and finishing and we've done a lot of shooting and a lot of stuff this week that will hopefully help us," Yallop said. "Obviously our defensive (performance) has not been great, but I think scoring first is important to most teams and that's what we're trying to do this game."
Forward Chris Cortez, who has been out with injury but should be available to play against his former team, said that, as a forward, he enjoyed training this week.
"It's been a lot of fun," Cortez said. "Finishing is the best part of the day. You get to score some goals (and) talk some crap on some keepers and have some fun with it."
He added that the repetition of the drills, where players attack the net in waves, taking shot after shot on the goalkeeper, really helps with putting the forwards in a mindset to score when the game comes around.
"It becomes second nature," Cortez said. "And so suddenly, when it comes to game time, you've hit the same shot a thousand times and it becomes a habit."
The drills have not only been for the benefit for Arizona United's attackers. The team's defense has also struggled recently, allowing eight goals in their last three matches. But, according to Yallop, the finishing drills have also been beneficial to the defenders as well.
"Obviously for us defenders, it's a lot of hard work," said Arizona United defender Julian Ringhof. "It's a good drill for us and the intensity has been pretty high, so that's good."
Scouting Report: OC Blues FC may have had trouble finding the back of the net for much of their season, but the team is coming off a five-goal explosion against Seattle Sounders FC 2. In that match, the Blues fell behind 2-0 in the 55th minute. Then, the five-goal barrage.
Even more impressive: the goals were scored by five different players.
Previous meeting: Arizona United left Southern California on May 14 with a point in hand following a 1-1 draw with Orange County. But it could've been much worse. The Blues hit the post five different times over the course of the game, even prompting Arizona United's owner Kyle Eng to joke that the goal frame was the man of the match.
United also had several scoring chances of their of their own in a match that could've been a lot more high scoring. Saturday night's battle could be very interesting.
Images from this story
Arizona United in Action
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 10, 2016
- Independence Fall 1-0 to Bethlehem Steel at Home - Charlotte Independence
- Roughnecks at Saint Louis Saturday - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- FC Montreal Faces FC Cincinnati Saturday Night - FC Montreal
- San Antonio FC Names Nick Evans SAFC Pro Academy Director - San Antonio FC
- Tony Walls' Contract Terminated - Rochester Rhinos
- Upcoming Louisville City FC Match to Air on ESPN3, MeTV - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs Continue Tour Saturday in Reno against Sacramento - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 on Sunday - Swope Park Rangers
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Real Monarchs SLC - Sacramento Republic FC
- FC Montreal Signs Defender Brandon Onkony - FC Montreal
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 12 - USL
- Bethlehem Steel FC to Take on Charlotte Independence - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Arizona United Looks to Kickstart Offensive Attack against OC Blues FC - Phoenix Rising FC
- RGV FC Toros Host Oklahoma City Energy FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- City Islanders Face Philadelphia Union in U.S. Open Cup Round 4 Wednesday - Penn FC
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 for First Time in Club History - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City Hosts Hammerheads for Game 12 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Riverhounds Sign Jack Thompson - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rochester Rhinos Take on Toronto FC on the Road - Rochester Rhinos
- OCB Looks to Bounce Back against Charleston Battery - Orlando City B
- Louisville City FC Back Home Saturday vs. Wilmington - Louisville City FC
- Kickers Host Pittsburgh Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Sounders FC 2 Tops Whitecaps FC 2 by a Score of 3-2 in Cascadia Clash at Starfire Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Greig, Frano Score But WFC2 Comeback Effort Falls Short in Wild Cascadia Derby Match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 Following Wild Finish in Fresno
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Avenge Early-Season Draw with Fresno
- Austin Ledbetter Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Club Statement Regarding Tonight's Phoenix Rising vs. LA Galaxy II Match
- Phoenix Rising Welcomes Los Dos to Casino Arizona Field