Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Real Monarchs SLC
Sacramento Republic FC (5-3-3, 18 pts) will take on Real Monarchs SLC (4-5-4, 16 pts) for the second consecutive match when both clubs travel to Reno, Nev. on Saturday, June 11. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. PDT at Greater Nevada Field. The match will be streamed at SacRepublicFC.com/matchday.
The match will be played at Greater Nevada Field as Real Monarchs and their parent club Real Salt Lake (MLS) are replacing the grass at their home field, Rio Tinto Stadium. This will be the second match that has been held at Greater Nevada Field in 2016 with Republic FC playing in both matches. The first match was between Republic FC and Liverpool FC U21s on May 25. Reno 1868 FC, the USL expansion club that will begin play in 2017 at Greater Nevada Field, will host the match and will unveil their inaugural kits at the match.
Republic FC won the first matchup between the two clubs 1-0 on Wednesday, June 8. A goal by Adam Jahn in the 47th minute was enough as Republic FC posted their sixth shutout in 11 USL matches this season.
Jahn's goal was his first goal for Republic FC this season and his first with the club since his goal against Wilmington Hammerheads FC in Republic FC's 4-1 win in the 2014 USL Quarterfinals. Jahn did not join Republic FC as a loan player in 2015 but his goal on Wednesday and his six USL goals in 2014 are enough to place him fourth in all-time goals scored in Republic FC history.
Defender James Kiffe recorded the assist on Jahn's match-winning goal on Wednesday. It was Kiffe's second consecutive match with an assist, tying Republic FC's club record for consecutive USL matches with an assist. Kiffe leads Republic FC with three assists on the season.
Republic FC's defense stood strong against the Monarchs on Wednesday night allowing just two shots on goal and recording their sixth USL shutout this season. Republic FC's defense is now tied with New York Red Bulls II for the best defense in the USL, with each club giving up a stingy six goals in 11 matches, a 0.55 goals against average.
Real Monarchs are now 2-5-3 in their last nine matches overall. This is the second straight time that they have played a team in consecutive matches. The Monarchs played Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 in consecutive matches on May 29 and June 4 before playing Republic FC in consecutive matches. Real Monarchs tied Whitecaps FC 2 2-2 on May 29 before defeating them 1-0 on a last second goal on June 4.
Despite giving up a goal on Wednesday, goalkeeper Lalo Fernandez has been strong in goal for the Monarchs this season. Fernandez has made 29 saves in 11 appearance this season. He was also named to the USL Team of the Week in Week 3 and 11 after recording shutouts with three or more saves in both weeks. Fernandez had four saves against Republic FC on Wednesday.
The match will be streamed live at SacRepublicFC.com/matchday. Updates of the match will be provided via Twitter @SacRepublicFC or using #SLCvSAC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 10, 2016
- Independence Fall 1-0 to Bethlehem Steel at Home - Charlotte Independence
- Roughnecks at Saint Louis Saturday - FC Tulsa
- FC Montreal Faces FC Cincinnati Saturday Night - FC Montreal
- San Antonio FC Names Nick Evans SAFC Pro Academy Director - San Antonio FC
- Tony Walls' Contract Terminated - Rochester Rhinos
- Upcoming Louisville City FC Match to Air on ESPN3, MeTV - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs Continue Tour Saturday in Reno against Sacramento - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City II
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Real Monarchs SLC - Sacramento Republic FC
- FC Montreal Signs Defender Brandon Onkony - FC Montreal
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 12 - USL
- Bethlehem Steel FC to Take on Charlotte Independence - Philadelphia Union II
- Arizona United Looks to Kickstart Offensive Attack against OC Blues FC - Phoenix Rising FC
- RGV FC Toros Host Oklahoma City Energy FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- City Islanders Face Philadelphia Union in U.S. Open Cup Round 4 Wednesday - Penn FC
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 for First Time in Club History - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City Hosts Hammerheads for Game 12 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Riverhounds Sign Jack Thompson - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rochester Rhinos Take on Toronto FC on the Road - Rochester Rhinos
- OCB Looks to Bounce Back against Charleston Battery - Orlando City B
- Louisville City FC Back Home Saturday vs. Wilmington - Louisville City FC
- Kickers Host Pittsburgh Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Sounders FC 2 Tops Whitecaps FC 2 by a Score of 3-2 in Cascadia Clash at Starfire Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Greig, Frano Score But WFC2 Comeback Effort Falls Short in Wild Cascadia Derby Match - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Statement from Sacramento Republic FC on Confirmation of COVID-19 Case
- Upcoming Republic FC Matches Postponed
- Two Republic FC Players to Shave Heads for St. Baldrick's Fundraiser
- Republic FC Signs Three Rising Youth Academy Talents to First Team Contracts
- Republic FC, New Glory Craft Brewery Select Local Artist Design for Fan Collaboration