Slow Start Dooms Orlando in 7-3 Loss to Florida
Estero, FL - The Florida Everblades used six first period goals to take down the Solar Bears 7-3 at the Germain Arena on Saturday night.
Just 14 seconds into the game, Florida opened up the scoring when F Brody Sutter took a pass from the blue line and snapped it into the back of the net. It was the start of a six goal first period for the Everblades, who saw additional goals scored by F Leigh Salters, two goals by F Matt Spiller, F Beau Schmitz, and LW Mathieu Roy, all in the opening frame. The Solar Bears were unable to answer in the first, and trailed 6-0 [image: Rob Mignardi] going into the second frame.
Orlando started their comeback bid early in the second stanza. Forward C.J. Severyn picked up a pass from D Nicholas Kuqali, raced through the neutral zone, and wristed a shot past G Rob Madore to put Orlando on the board 29 seconds into the second period. C Mathew Sisca knocked home Orlando's next goal at 9:31, finding a rebound on the doorstep and tapping the puck into the empty net to cut Florida's lead to 6-2. A little over two minutes later, at 11:58, D Alain Goulet scored his first goal as a Solar Bears when he picked the top corner of the net with a wrist shot on the power play, bringing Orlando back to within three. It was the final goal of the frame, as the Everblades led 6-3 after forty minutes of action.
The Everblades added a final goal in the third period, when F Ernie Hartlieb finished off a rebound in front of the net to put Florida ahead 7-3 at the 2:37 mark of the final frame. It was the last goal scored in the contest, as the Everblades took home a 7-3 win over Orlando.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2013
- Third-Period Lull Costs Idaho in Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Eagles Dominate Komets, 6-1, to Take Series - Colorado Eagles
- Wranglers Outlast Reign in 4-3 OT Victory - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Titans Lose in OT to Kalamazoo, 2-1 - Trenton Titans
- Six-Goal First Period Propel 'Blades to 7-3 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings' Winning Streak Grows to Four - Kalamazoo Wings
- Road Warriors' Record Crowd Watches Shootout Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Gladiators Knock off IceMen 6-5 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Slow Start Dooms Orlando in 7-3 Loss to Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Snap Slide with Exhilarating 4-3 Shootout Win over Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jakaitis; Stingrays Blank Walleye 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- SF Bulls to Wear Sharks-Themed Jerseys Tonight against Bakersfield - San Francisco Bulls
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Titans GameDay vs. Kalamazoo, February 9, 2013 - Game 49 (Home 26) - Trenton Titans
- Ryan Ginand Heads Back to Houston - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Assigned Connor Knapp, Announce Other Moves - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - February 9 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Walk the Red Carpet Tonight vs. Toledo - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 9 - ECHL
- Alaska Beats Stockton 3-1 in Weekend Opener - Alaska Aces
- Boisclair continues scoring streak, Alaska skates away in third period - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Claw Back from Three-Goal Deficit to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Reign - San Francisco Bulls
- Reign Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 Shootout Win - Ontario Reign
- Condors Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Tally Sixth Win in a Row, Beat Bakersfield 4-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Idaho Outlasts Utah in Overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho Takes Wild Game in OT; Grizzlies End Trip 3-2-1-1 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.