Six Homers Vault RailRiders over Rochester
MOOSIC, Pa. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders hit a season-high six home runs and cruised to a 14-5 win over the Rochester Red Wings on Friday night at PNC Field.
Switch-hitter Andrew Velazquez hit home runs while batting both right-handed and left-handed, becoming the second player in SWB franchise history to switch-hit home runs in a game.
The RailRiders jumped out to an early lead when Armando Alvarez struck a three-run home run off Tomshaw. It was Alvarez' third home run of the series following a two-homer performance on Tuesday night.
Rochester crept closer with two runs in the top of the third off Glenn Otto on a two-run triple by Jake Noll. Otto (1-0) was terrific in his first start at PNC Field, striking out eight and walking one in 6.0 innings of work. He allowed three runs on seven hits to record the third quality start for SWB pitchers in the last four games.
SWB extended its lead to 5-2 in the bottom of the third on a two-run homer from Donny Sands. Thomas Milone and Velazquez (batting right-handed) both went deep in the fourth, and Alvarez added an RBI double to run the lead to 9-3.
Velazquez clubbed his second homer leading off the sixth (batting left-handed) against Ronald Pena, and the RailRiders tacked on two more against Nick Goody in the seventh to extend the lead to 12-3. Frederick Cuevas homered against Goody in the frame for his first career home run above the High-A level.
The RailRiders added two more runs in the bottom of the eighth on a two-run double from Kyle Holder to extend the advantage to 14-3. Holder finished 2-for-5 with two doubles, a run scored and a walk.
Braden Bristo threw two scoreless innings of relief in back of Otto, and Stephen Ridings closed out the game despite allowing a two-run home run to Adrian Sanchez in the ninth.
POSTGAME NOTES: Velazquez is the first player in SWB history to switch-hit home runs in a game since Darren Burton accomplished the feat on April 23, 1998 against Rochester... The six home runs hit by the RailRiders were one shy of the franchise record of seven, set on May 31, 1998 at Toledo.
The RailRiders continue their series with the Red Wings on Saturday night at PNC Field. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. RHP Brody Koerner (2-3, 3.62) climbs the hill for SWB, while Rochester counters with LHP Sean Nolin (3-2, 4.17). For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 23, 2021
- Pratto Blasts First Career Triple-A Homer to Help Chasers Snap Slide - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Saints Late Inning Magic Runs out in 5-3 Loss to Storm Chasers - St. Paul Saints
- Navarreto, Zehner Each Walk off on Sounds in Doubleheader Sweep - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Big Inning Moves Bisons Past Syracuse Yet Again, 10-6 - Buffalo Bisons
- Matheny Delivers Three-Run Homer in Loss at Lehigh Valley - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Swept in Doubleheader in Jacksonville - Nashville Sounds
- Pigs bring the magic in win over Worcester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Six Homers Vault RailRiders over Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Steven Brault's Gem Shuts Down Toledo, 2-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Walker Makes Triple-A Debut, Syracuse Drops Fifth Straight with 10-6 Loss to Buffalo - Syracuse Mets
- Iowa Evens Series with 9-4 Win - Iowa Cubs
- Hens' Bats Go Silent as Indians Even Series - Toledo Mud Hens
- Knights Knock off Bulls 4-0 - Durham Bulls
- Greene Reaches 100K, 'Birds Handle Bats - Louisville Bats
- Thompson Shines, Redbirds Win 13th Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-34) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (38-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- July 23 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- WooSox Bring Back Free Vaccines on Remaining Los Wepas de Worcester Nights - Worcester Red Sox
- Indianapolis Native Dillon Peters Joins Indians Roster - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 23, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 23, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Clemens Homers Twice as Mud Hens Defeat Indians - Toledo Mud Hens
- Norfolk Falls to Gwinnett After Allowing Four Home Runs - Norfolk Tides
- Rondon & Co. Blank Bats, 3-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Pitching Stumps Indianapolis, 7-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Chasers Give up Lead Late, Drop Fourth Straight Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Indians Receive Sensory Certification, Install Sensory Wall at Victory Field - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Rally for Seven in 8th, Beat Mets, 10-4 - Buffalo Bisons
- Muñoz' Three-Hit Night, Homer Leads WooSox to 7-5 Win - Worcester Red Sox
- Snyder, Braymer Lead Wings Past RailRiders - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.