Sens Move Six Clear of Utica
The Belleville Senators pushed its North Division lead to six points over the Utica Comets Wednesday night with a 3-1 win at CAA Arena.
Belleville's Marcus Hogberg made 30 saves while Jack Rodewald, Justin Falk and Darren Archibald scored scored. Michael Leighton turned away 27 shots in the Utica goal as Brendan Woods had their lone goal.
After a goalless first period, Rodewald opened the scoring 4:55 into the second as he drove low and buried his own rebound past Leighton for his 21st goal of the year.
After Kole Lind clanged the post for Utica, the Belleville lead would have been 2-0 at 11:48 if not for the defensive heroics of Reid Gardiner who blocked a Darren Archibald shot on a wide open cage after Chase Balisy's pass from behind the net to keep the Sens lead at just a goal.
The Senators kept the Comets in check heading into the third but were finally broken, on a broken play, as Woods whiffed on his original shot before regathering the puck and beating Hogberg blocker side with 4:31 to play.
But Belleville found a winner with 1:44 to play as Falk let up a wrister fly from the left circle that beat Leighton glove side to bury his first in a Sens jersey before Archibald sealed the deal with an empty-net goal against his former squad.
Shots were 10-9 for Belleville in the first although the closest goalscoring opportunity wasn't credited as a shot as Filip Chlapik rang the post from the slot in what was otherwise a period of limited chances.
Chlapik played in his 100th career AHL game.
Belleville returns to the ice Friday against Providence and are back home on March 27 to host the Syracuse Crunch. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2019
- Sens Move Six Clear of Utica - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport extends point streak at home to eight games in overtime loss to Toronto on Wednesday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Drop Only Trip to Laval 3-2 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Special Teams Send Checkers over Syracuse - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Late Push Not Enough in Belleville - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Welinski - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Add Defenseman Peter Tischke - Colorado Eagles
- Game #58 Preview: Tucson vs. Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Reassign Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Weekly: New Point Streak Starts as Bears Eye Playoff Spot - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Sign F Brendan Robbins to ATO, Recall F Matt Marcinew from Manchester (ECHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Drew Melanson Recalled from Maine of ECHL, Greg Chase Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Roadrunners Sign Aliu to Professional Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Visit Bridgeport for Midweek Match Up - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Sign Loggins to Three-Year Contract, Pearson to ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bring Your Dog to the BMO Tonight for Hogs' Lottery Cup Showdown - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Sign Forward Joe Snively to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Sign Novak to ATO - Milwaukee Admirals
- Libor Sulak Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission with 'Moon Landing Night' this Saturday - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Ink Ryan Walker to Amateur Tryout - Binghamton Devils
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, March 20 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Look for Eighth Straight Home Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Chaput's Two Spur Roadrunners to a 5-2 Victory over Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Falters against Tucson in 5-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Moose Need OT to Repel San Diego - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Win Second Consecutive Shootout, 2-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gulls Rally from Three Down to Grab Point - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Fall to Griffins in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Sens Offering Flash Sale on 2019-20 Season Tickets and Flex Packages
- Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation to Benefit from Sens' Donation
- Sens Present $100,000 to Five Local Charities
- Belleville Well Represented at IIHF World Championships
- Winters Uses Senators Experience to Kick Start Career