P-Bruins Drop Only Trip to Laval 3-2 in Shootout
Laval, QC - The Providence Bruins fell to the Laval Rocket in a shootout Wednesday night 3-2 in the final game of their three-game road trip. The P-Bruins got goals from Stuart Percy and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson while Zane McIntyre made his 39th start of the season in net.
Newcomer Stuart Percy put Providence on the board 11:02 into the opening frame, scoring his first goal as a Bruin. With assists from Mark McNeill and Gemel Smith, Percy's wrister from the point snuck through the five-hole of Connor LaCouvee to give the P-Bruins a 1-0 lead. Laval put a fury of shots on McIntyre towards the end of the period and led in shots 11-5 after 20 minutes, but he was up for the task on each one and Providence took a one-goal lead into the break.
The Rocket tied things up 4:09 into the second period on Daniel Audette's 13th goal of the season. Jake Evans and Alexandre Grenier started the play with a rush into the attacking zone, and Audette finished by backhanding a loose puck in the crease to make the score 1-1. The P-Bruins quickly responded on the power play at 5:55 on Forsbacka Karlsson's second AHL goal of the season. With space to shoot from the right dot, he snapped a shot through traffic and by LaCouvee to put Providence ahead. Cooper Zech earned his first pro point on the goal and Lee Stempniak picked up the secondary assist as the P-Bruins entered the third up 2-1.
Providence led for much of the third period, but the Rocket continued to have close calls that nearly tied things up. They finally even the score with five minutes left on a backhand shot from Cale Fleury in the crease. Nikita Jevpalovs and David Sklenicka earned helpers on the goal and the game headed to overtime. After a scoreless extra period, the P-Bruins and Rocket headed to what turned out to be an eight-round shootout. Jordan Szwarz and Anton Blidh lit the lamp for Providence, but a goal in the last round by Hunter Shinkaruk secured a 3-2 win for Laval.
McIntyre stopped 28-30 shots while LaCouvee stopped 20-22 shots. Providence was 1-4 on the power play and 4-4 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action Friday night when they return home to take on the Belleville Senators at 7:05pm for the start of their annual "Star Wars Weekend."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2019
- Sens Move Six Clear of Utica - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport extends point streak at home to eight games in overtime loss to Toronto on Wednesday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Drop Only Trip to Laval 3-2 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Special Teams Send Checkers over Syracuse - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Late Push Not Enough in Belleville - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Welinski - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Add Defenseman Peter Tischke - Colorado Eagles
- Game #58 Preview: Tucson vs. Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Reassign Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Weekly: New Point Streak Starts as Bears Eye Playoff Spot - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Sign F Brendan Robbins to ATO, Recall F Matt Marcinew from Manchester (ECHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Drew Melanson Recalled from Maine of ECHL, Greg Chase Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Roadrunners Sign Aliu to Professional Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Visit Bridgeport for Midweek Match Up - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Sign Loggins to Three-Year Contract, Pearson to ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bring Your Dog to the BMO Tonight for Hogs' Lottery Cup Showdown - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Sign Forward Joe Snively to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Sign Novak to ATO - Milwaukee Admirals
- Libor Sulak Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission with 'Moon Landing Night' this Saturday - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Ink Ryan Walker to Amateur Tryout - Binghamton Devils
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, March 20 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Look for Eighth Straight Home Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Chaput's Two Spur Roadrunners to a 5-2 Victory over Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Falters against Tucson in 5-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Moose Need OT to Repel San Diego - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Win Second Consecutive Shootout, 2-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gulls Rally from Three Down to Grab Point - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Fall to Griffins in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Recall Kyle Keyser from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Just Short as Laval Rocket Wins in Shootout, 5-4
- P-Bruins Fall to Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener
- Bruins Assign Axel Andersson to QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats