Crunch Downed by Checkers, 4-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Charlotte Checkers special teams connected for two power-play goals on their way to a 4-2 victory over the Syracuse Crunch tonight at Bojangles' Coliseum.
After giving up the first goal, the Crunch pulled within one two separate times off markers from Gabriel Dumont and Carter Verhaeghe, but the team never caught back up to the Checkers. The loss moves to the team to 41-18-4-2 on the season. Charlotte took the four-game season series 3-0-1-0.
Netminder Eddie Pasquale stopped 25-of-29 in net for the Crunch after relieving Martin Ouellette less than two minutes into the game. Ouellette turned aside 2-of-2. Alex Nedeljkovic recorded the win with 32 saves. Syracuse went 0-for-4 on the power play, while Charlotte converted on 2-of-3 man-advantages.
The Checkers opened scoring 7:29 into the middle stanza. Pasquale kicked aside Steven Lorentz's shot from the left circle, but Nicolas Roy came out from beyond the goal line to collect the rebound and set up Roland McKeown in the right circle.
The Crunch evened the score at the 17:11 mark. Cal Foote grabbed a loose puck at the right point and sent it down low to Alex Barre-Boulet. The rookie quickly centered it for Dumont to chip in.
Charlotte regained the lead on the man-advantage with 1:09 remaining in the second period. Jake Bean fed Martin Necas for a one-timer from the left circle. Morgan Geekie tallied the secondary helper.
The same Checkers line connected for their second power-play goal of the game 4:31 into the final frame. Necas ripped another one-timer from the same left-circle spot with the help of Bean and Geekie.
Just 16 seconds later, the Crunch came back within one when Carter Verhaeghe circled the puck around the zone and potted it as he cut down the slot.
With 1:20 remaining in the game, Roy hit the empty net off an assist from Dennis Robertson to secure the Checkers victory.
The Crunch return home to host the Utica Comets on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: The Crunch had an eight-game points streak snapped tonight...Hubert Labrie played in his 400th, Cory Conacher his 300th and Carter Verhaeghe his 200th AHL game tonight.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2019
- Sens Move Six Clear of Utica - Belleville Senators
- Bridgeport extends point streak at home to eight games in overtime loss to Toronto on Wednesday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Drop Only Trip to Laval 3-2 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Special Teams Send Checkers over Syracuse - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Late Push Not Enough in Belleville - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Welinski - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Add Defenseman Peter Tischke - Colorado Eagles
- Game #58 Preview: Tucson vs. Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Reassign Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Weekly: New Point Streak Starts as Bears Eye Playoff Spot - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Sign F Brendan Robbins to ATO, Recall F Matt Marcinew from Manchester (ECHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Drew Melanson Recalled from Maine of ECHL, Greg Chase Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Roadrunners Sign Aliu to Professional Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Visit Bridgeport for Midweek Match Up - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Sign Loggins to Three-Year Contract, Pearson to ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bring Your Dog to the BMO Tonight for Hogs' Lottery Cup Showdown - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Sign Forward Joe Snively to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Sign Novak to ATO - Milwaukee Admirals
- Libor Sulak Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission with 'Moon Landing Night' this Saturday - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Ink Ryan Walker to Amateur Tryout - Binghamton Devils
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, March 20 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Look for Eighth Straight Home Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Chaput's Two Spur Roadrunners to a 5-2 Victory over Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Falters against Tucson in 5-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Moose Need OT to Repel San Diego - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Win Second Consecutive Shootout, 2-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gulls Rally from Three Down to Grab Point - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Fall to Griffins in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.