Schilling Spearheads Shutout as Tourists Take Two
GREENVILLE - The Asheville Tourists took two from the Greenville Drive on Wednesday night to bring themselves within two games of first place. Asheville held on to win Tuesday's suspended game 4-2 and then outpitched the Drive in a 1-0 shutout victory to complete the evening.
The Tourists scored all four of their runs in the first game on Tuesday night. Asheville led 4-1 entering play today and Moises Ceja, Braxton Lorenzini, and Tommy Doyle limited the Drive to one run over the game's final five innings. Sean Bouchard and Taylor Snyder finished the contest with two hits apiece.
In game two, Greenville's Jhonathan Diaz and Asheville's Garrett Schilling put on a pitching display. Schilling, who was snubbed by Greenville's manager Iggy Suarez for an All-Star nod, threw six shutout innings with seven strikeouts in front of the Greenville home crowd. Schilling recorded six of his seven strikeouts over the first three frames.
Diaz was equally impressive until the top of the seventh. Matt Hearn led off the inning with a bunt single and Ryan Vilade bunted him over to second. Two batters later, Casey Golden hit an infield single to plate Hearn for the game's only run. Hunter Williams earned his first save of the season with a one, two, three ninth inning.
Asheville and Greenville ended up splitting the season series with both teams compiling ten wins against the other. It has been ten years since the Tourists lost a season series to the Drive.
Asheville will open up a four-game homestand against the Columbia Fireflies on Thursday night. The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Drive Drop a Pair to Tourists on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- Schilling Spearheads Shutout as Tourists Take Two - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Strike Again - Lakewood Scores Three in Eighth, Tops Delmarva 7-5 for Sixth Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moreno's Mid-Game Spark Keys Columbia Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Cubilete's Quality Start Spoiled in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Lap Intimidators - Augusta GreenJackets
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (August 2-5) - West Virginia Power
- Hall Garners Pitcher of the Month Award - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Virginia (Game 105) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Walk-Off Legends in Tenth - Hagerstown Suns
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 1) - West Virginia Power
- Crawdads Finish Sweep of Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Yajure Solid Again as Crawdads' Pair Enough to Sweep RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- GreenJackets, SRP Federal Credit Union & WOW Internet, Cable & Phone to Host Back to School Drive - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Present Donation to Operation We Care - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Today's Doubleheader Canceled - Rome Braves
- Lexington Legends to Host Barstool Sports Rough N' Rowdy 5 - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.