Suns Walk-Off Legends in Tenth
Hagerstown, MD - Andrew Lee struck out a career-high 12 hitters as the Hagerstown Suns walked-off in the 10th inning against the Lexington Legends in the series finale Wednesday at Historic Municipal Stadium. The Suns are 14-23 in the second half and 41-64 overall and will start a four-game series with the Hickory Crawdads Thursday night with a 7:05 PM first pitch.
After six scoreless innings, the Legends plated a run against Suns reliever Jorge Pantoja. Cristian Perez was hit by a pitch to lead off, Manny Olloque singled to right, and with one out Carlos Diaz singled to left to load the bases. William Hancock skied a sacrifice fly to right field, plating Perez to give Lexington a 1-0 advantage while Olloque moved to third on the play. Ricky Aracena grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning and the threat.
Hagerstown answered with a run of their own in the latter half of the inning against Legends starter Carlos Hernandez. Jake Scudder crushed his sixth home run of the season, tying the game at 1-1. Scudder swung at the first pitch he saw in the seventh, bouncing the ball off the back wall in right field at Historic Municipal Stadium. Hernandez retired the next three Suns hitters to end the inning.
The Suns walked off in the tenth against Legends reliever Connor Snider. Omar Meregildo started the inning on second base and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Phil Caulfield. Alex Flores grounded a ball to second that bounced off of Aracena's glove into center field, allowing Meregildo to score and give the Suns a 2-1 walk-off victory in the series finale.
Lee pitched six scoreless innings while allowing three hits, a walk, and striking out a career-high 12 batters in a no-decision on Wednesday. Pantoja spun two innings, giving up a run on two hits and two strikeouts in his 2018 debut for the Suns. Frankie Bartow (1-2) pitched the ninth and 10th innings, only giving up a hit and earning his first win of the season on Wednesday.
Notes: Lee's six innings is his season-high... It's the fourth time in his career that he pitched six innings... His 12 strikeouts is a career-high and a season-high for the Suns... It's the first time a Hagerstown pitcher recorded 10 or more strikeouts since 6/25/17 when Tyler Watson struck out 10 in a 8-3 win over Greensboro... Armond Upshaw logged his 11th multi-hit game of the season... Scudder hit his sixth home run of the season... The Suns are 5-2 in extra-inning games... This is the second time that Flores has driven in a walk-off game winning run... Hagerstown is 12-13 in one-run games... The Suns are 11-12 in day games... Hagerstown is 4-4 when tied after eight innings... The Suns are 6-5 in a rubber-match... It's the 10th series win of the season for Hagerstown... Hagerstown will play the first game of a four-game series against the Hickory Crawdads on Thursday night... First pitch will be at 7:05 PM... It's Thirsty Thursday at Historic Municipal Stadium... Fans can take advantage of $2 beer specials... The Suns will send RHP Jackson Tetreault (3-8, 4.26 ERA) to the mound against a Crawdads starter to be determined ... The broadcast can be heard, starting with the pregame show at 6:55 PM on www.hagerstownsuns.com by going to multimedia tab and clicking on "Listen Live"... The broadcast is also available on the Hagerstown Suns Radio Network in the Tune-In Radio and MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Drive Drop a Pair to Tourists on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- Schilling Spearheads Shutout as Tourists Take Two - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Strike Again - Lakewood Scores Three in Eighth, Tops Delmarva 7-5 for Sixth Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moreno's Mid-Game Spark Keys Columbia Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Cubilete's Quality Start Spoiled in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Lap Intimidators - Augusta GreenJackets
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (August 2-5) - West Virginia Power
- Hall Garners Pitcher of the Month Award - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Virginia (Game 105) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Walk-Off Legends in Tenth - Hagerstown Suns
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 1) - West Virginia Power
- Crawdads Finish Sweep of Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Yajure Solid Again as Crawdads' Pair Enough to Sweep RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- GreenJackets, SRP Federal Credit Union & WOW Internet, Cable & Phone to Host Back to School Drive - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Present Donation to Operation We Care - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Today's Doubleheader Canceled - Rome Braves
- Lexington Legends to Host Barstool Sports Rough N' Rowdy 5 - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.