Fireflies Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Virginia (Game 105)
Columbia Fireflies (15-22, 49-55) vs. West Virginia Power (17-20, 54-49)
RHP Zac Grotz (1-4, 6.53) vs. RHP Sergio Cubilete (3-4, 5.23)
Wed., August 1, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 105
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: Tony Dibrell was excellent on the mound in his 18th start of the season. The righty tossed six innings and struck out 10 batters. Despite the solid outing, the Fireflies fell 3-1 to the Power in 10 innings at Spirit Communications Park. Darwin Ramos also produced a fine performance out of the bullpen (3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 K). At one point - from the third to the ninth - Dibrell and Ramos retired 18 consecutive batters.
LEADERBOARD: Dibrell continues to creep closer to the single-season strikeout record in Fireflies history.
1. RHP Joe Shaw (2016) - 134 K
2. RHP Chase Ingram (2016) - 132 K
3. RHP Tony Dibrell (2018) - 120 K
4. LHP Kevin Canelon (2016) - 119 K
SOLID MONTH: Scott Manea capped off July with a two-hit game on Tuesday. Manea drove in 19 runs, smacked a team-high nine doubles, and launched three home runs during the entire month. The 22-year-old played in more games in July (25) than any other month so far this year.
BONUS BASEBALL: Columbia played in its 15th extra-inning game on Tuesday night - the most in the South Atlantic League. This is also the most in a single season in franchise history (11 - 2016 & 10 - 2017).
UP THE MIDDLE: Edgardo Fermin's natural position is shortstop. The 20-year-old has also been tested in centerfield, though, and has made 15 starts in CF this season.
AROUND THE BASES: Hansel Moreno produced the first inside-the-park home run in franchise history on Saturday. The 21-year-old also became the first to do it at SRP Park in North Augusta, SC.
YOUTH MOVEMENT: Andres Gimenez, a 19-year-old, is currently the youngest player at the Double-A level. The 2017 Firefly has played in nine games so far with the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. The Mets top prospect collected nine hits over his last six games.
TIME CAPSULE: On this day in 2010, the Mets inducted four new members to the team's Hall of Fame. Former GM Frank Cashen, Davey Johnson, Darryl Strawberry, and Dwight 'Doc' Gooden were all instrumental in capturing the 1986 World Series title.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Drive Drop a Pair to Tourists on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- Schilling Spearheads Shutout as Tourists Take Two - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Strike Again - Lakewood Scores Three in Eighth, Tops Delmarva 7-5 for Sixth Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moreno's Mid-Game Spark Keys Columbia Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Cubilete's Quality Start Spoiled in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Lap Intimidators - Augusta GreenJackets
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (August 2-5) - West Virginia Power
- Hall Garners Pitcher of the Month Award - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Virginia (Game 105) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Walk-Off Legends in Tenth - Hagerstown Suns
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 1) - West Virginia Power
- Crawdads Finish Sweep of Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Yajure Solid Again as Crawdads' Pair Enough to Sweep RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- GreenJackets, SRP Federal Credit Union & WOW Internet, Cable & Phone to Host Back to School Drive - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Present Donation to Operation We Care - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Today's Doubleheader Canceled - Rome Braves
- Lexington Legends to Host Barstool Sports Rough N' Rowdy 5 - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.