Lexington Legends Drop Series to Hagerstown Suns
MUNICIPAL STADIUM (Hagerstown, MD) - It was a pure rubber match between the Lexington Legends and Hagerstown Suns in the series finale. Tied after nine innings, the Suns walked it off with a 2-1 victory over the Legends. Lexington now falls to 20-17 in the second half of the season and remain 0.5 games out of first place in the Southern Division behind the Greenville Drive.
Both starters held opposing teams scoreless until the seventh inning. Lexington's starter Carlos Hernandez hurled 7.0 innings allowing one run on four hits while striking out six. Andrew Lee for the Suns pitched 6.0 shutout innings allowing three hits while walking one and striking out 12.
After six shutout innings, both teams plated their first runs of the game in the seventh. In the top of the inning, Cristian Perez was hit by a pitch, then back-to-back singles by Manny Olloque and Carlos Diaz loaded the bases. William Hancock then popped up a sacrifice fly to right field bringing home Perez, and the Legends led 1-0.
In the bottom of the seventh, Jake Scudder led off with a home run to right centerfield and the game was tied 1-1.
After the Legends were unable to get a run across in the top of the tenth inning, the Suns walked it off in the bottom of the inning. Omar Meregildo began the inning on second base as the Pace of Play Runner. Phil Caulfield moved him to third on a sacrifice bunt. Alejandro Flores then brought Meregildo home when he hit a groundball to the second baseman, Ricky Aracena. The baseball bounced off of Aracena's glove, allowing Meregildo to score and the Suns won 2-1.
Colin Snider was given the loss for the Legends, tossing 0.1 hitless inning allowing one run (unearned). Frankie Bartow was awarded the win for the Suns throwing 2.0 shutout innings allowing one hit.
The Legends now travel to face the Lakewood Blueclaws in a four-game series beginning tomorrow, August 2 at 7:05 p.m. Both pitchers are TBD.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Lexington Legends pitcher Carlos Hernandez
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Drive Drop a Pair to Tourists on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- Schilling Spearheads Shutout as Tourists Take Two - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Strike Again - Lakewood Scores Three in Eighth, Tops Delmarva 7-5 for Sixth Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moreno's Mid-Game Spark Keys Columbia Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Cubilete's Quality Start Spoiled in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Lap Intimidators - Augusta GreenJackets
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (August 2-5) - West Virginia Power
- Hall Garners Pitcher of the Month Award - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Virginia (Game 105) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Walk-Off Legends in Tenth - Hagerstown Suns
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 1) - West Virginia Power
- Crawdads Finish Sweep of Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Yajure Solid Again as Crawdads' Pair Enough to Sweep RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- GreenJackets, SRP Federal Credit Union & WOW Internet, Cable & Phone to Host Back to School Drive - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Present Donation to Operation We Care - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Today's Doubleheader Canceled - Rome Braves
- Lexington Legends to Host Barstool Sports Rough N' Rowdy 5 - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Legends Release 2019 Promotional Schedule
- National Anthem and God Bless America Auditions Scheduled for February
- Former Legends Player Named 2019 Manager
- Kentucky Coal Association Signs on as $.25 Hot Dog Sponsor
- Three Legends Players Named Royals Pitcher and Players of the Year