Drive Drop a Pair to Tourists on Wednesday
Greenville, SC - Despite a pair of outstanding pitching efforts on Wednesday at Fluor Field, the Greenville Drive dropped both games to the Asheville Tourists, as the Tourists eked out a 1-0 win in the nightcap after winning the resumption of Tuesday's suspended game by a 4-2 score.
The night game was a true pitcher's duel from start to finish, as Jhonathan Diaz (7-7) went the distance for the Drive (22-18, 47-62), allowing just one run on four hits and one walk while matching a career-high with nine strikeouts.
Garrett Schilling (5-4) got the win for the Tourists (18-20, 45-62) with six scoreless innings and seven strikeouts while scattering five hits.
The Tourists broke the scoreless tie in the seventh inning. Matt Hearn led off with a bunt single, moved to second on a sacrifice and scooted to third on a wild pitch. With two outs in the frame, Casey Golden bounced an infield single over the mound to bring in the game's lone run.
Hunter Williams made the lead stand up with a perfect bottom half to earn his first save.
The opener was Wednesday was picked up from the top of the third inning with the Tourists leading 4-1. Marcos Lantigua entered on the mound for the Drive and hurled three and two-third scoreless innings of relief. Dominic LoBrutto followed with a 1-2-3 seventh inning.
Zach Sterry provided the lone run of the resumption of Tuesday's game, as he launched a 422-foot solo homer over the triangle in center field for his second home run of the year.
Moises Ceja (1-0) allowed just the home run in three innings to get the win for Asheville, while Tommy Doyle logged his 10th save. Angel Padron (2-4) took the loss.
The homestand continues on Thursday night as the Drive welcome the Rome Braves to town for a four-game series. First pitch in the opener is at 7:05 PM. Right-hander Kutter Crawford (5-4, 2.99) starts on the hill for the Drive against Braves right-hander Keith Weisenberg (0-2, 3.45).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Drive Drop a Pair to Tourists on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- Schilling Spearheads Shutout as Tourists Take Two - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Strike Again - Lakewood Scores Three in Eighth, Tops Delmarva 7-5 for Sixth Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moreno's Mid-Game Spark Keys Columbia Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Cubilete's Quality Start Spoiled in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Lap Intimidators - Augusta GreenJackets
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (August 2-5) - West Virginia Power
- Hall Garners Pitcher of the Month Award - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 1 vs. West Virginia (Game 105) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Walk-Off Legends in Tenth - Hagerstown Suns
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 1) - West Virginia Power
- Crawdads Finish Sweep of Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Yajure Solid Again as Crawdads' Pair Enough to Sweep RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- GreenJackets, SRP Federal Credit Union & WOW Internet, Cable & Phone to Host Back to School Drive - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Present Donation to Operation We Care - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Today's Doubleheader Canceled - Rome Braves
- Lexington Legends to Host Barstool Sports Rough N' Rowdy 5 - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Drive Announces Coaching Staff for 15th Anniversary Season
- Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Drive Recognized with Multiple South Atlantic League Awards
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets
- Third Inning Pushes GreenJackets Past Drive