Saints Offensive Onslaught Continues with 13-4 Thrashing of Indianapolis
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - The St. Paul Saints just finished up a series with the Omaha Storm Chasers in which they scored 17 runs and 21 runs in a game. They didn't quite match either of those totals, but they pounded out four homers, scored six in the second and took down the Indianapolis Indians 13-4 on Tuesday night at Victory Field.
For the fifth time in their last five games they Saints put up at least six runs in an inning when they put up half a dozen in the second. Mark Contreras led off with a solo blast to straightaway center, his 16th of the season, making it 1-0 Saints. Jimmy Kerrigan followed with a single to left-center and BJ Boyd walked. A flyout by Sherman Johnson moved Kerrigan to third. JT Riddle hit a grounder to first, but John Nogowski's throw home was a little offline and Boyd slid in safely giving the Saints a 2-0 lead. Damek Tomscha made it 3-0 with an RBI double to left. Jose Miranda then drilled a three-run homer to left, his 14th of the season, putting the Saints up 6-0.
In the fourth, the Saints tacked on two more as Tomscha led off the inning with a single to right. He moved to third on a single by Riddle. Miranda then hit a hot smash through the legs of the third baseman Hunter Owen as the error scored Tomscha to make it 7-0. Miranda went 2-5 with a home run, four RBI and a run scored. Tomás Telis gave the Saints an 8-0 with an RBI fielder's choice.
Saints starter Drew Strotman had one of his best starts for the Saints. He pitched around small jams in the first three innings before the Indians got one back in the bottom of the fourth inning on a solo homer by Hunter Owen, his team leading 17th of the season, making it 8-1 Saints.
The teams traded solo homers in the sixth as Tomscha smashed a solo homer to left, his 10th of the season, increasing the Saints lead to 9-1.
In the bottom of the inning Bligh Madriss hit a solo homer to right, his ninth of the season, making it 9-2. Strotman went a season tying high 6.0 innings allowing two runs on five hits while walking three and striking out four.
The Saints continued pouring it on in the seventh with their fourth homer of the night. Kerrigan led off with a double to right-center and BJ Boyd's infield single moved him to third. Kerrigan went 3-5 with two doubles and two runs scored. Sherman Johnson unloaded on a three-run homer to right, his fifth of the season, putting the Saints up 12-2. The Saints then loaded the bases on a single from Tomscha, a walk to Riddle, and a single by Miranda. Telis' double play ground out scored Tomscha increasing the lead to 13-2. Tomscha finished with four hits, a triple shy of the cycle, with two RBI and four runs scored.
The same two teams meet in game two of the six-game series at 11:05 a.m. at Victory Field on Wednesday afternoon. The Saints send Beau Burrows (2-5, 6.16) to the mound against Indians RHP Tanner Anderson (5-3, 3.83). The game can be heard on KFAN Plus, 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Early Tides Onslaught Sinks Jumbo Shrimp - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Opener to Bulls 6-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Southeast Division, Beat Knights 6-2 - Durham Bulls
- Bats lose their bite in 4-2 loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Six-Run Second Bests Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- Big Innings Push the Tides Past Jacksonville in Win - Norfolk Tides
- Early Lead Not Enough in Sounds' Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Offensive Onslaught Continues with 13-4 Thrashing of Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Fall to Red Sox, 5-4, in Series Opener as Teams Combine for Five Homers on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Fall to Clippers in Rain-Shortened Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wong Hits Two Homers, Game-Winner in Comeback Win over Mets - Worcester Red Sox
- Wings Drop Series Opener to Bisons, 5-4, Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Defeat Rochester 5-4, Magic Number for Division Now 2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pitch, Hit & Run Set for Saturday, September 18 at Johnnie B. Wiley Sports Pavilion - Buffalo Bisons
- September 14 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 14, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-59) vs. St. Paul Saints (58-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Germán Commences MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 14, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Collins Recalled, Zavala & Mendick Return - Charlotte Knights
- Memphis Redbirds Team up with Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at AutoZone Park this Friday - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Tuesday, September 14-Sunday, September 19 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights: September 14th-September 19th - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Walk Their Way to 11-1 Victory in Home Finale
- Saints Making Noise in Final Stretch, Win Third Straight 4-3
- Barnes and Burrows Silence I-Cubs Bats in 3-1 Victory
- Saints Launch Three Long Balls in Come from Behind 7-5 Victory
- Final Stretch Gets off on Wrong Foot as Saints Lose 4-1