Wong Hits Two Homers, Game-Winner in Comeback Win over Mets
SYRACUSE N.Y. - Connor Wong's go-ahead ninth inning home run delivered the Worcester Red Sox (65-49) a 5-4 comeback win over the Syracuse Mets (44-68) on Tuesday night in the series opener at NBT Bank Stadium.
Wong came to the plate in the top of the ninth inning with two outs and no one on, batting against Syracuse reliever Franklyn Kilome. The 25-year-old already had one home run on the day, and in this at-bat, he annihilated his second, a solo blast that banged off the scoreboard in left-center. That was the game-winning swing, as Eduard Bazardo tossed a scoreless ninth to seal his first Triple-A win and the road team's 17th victory in 20 games.
Worcester began the scoring two batters in to the game-after Chad De La Guerra cracked a double in the first inning, Wong brought him home with a single on a night in which Wong would eventually delievers three RBIs.
The Mets answered back with three straight runs, two in the third and one more in the fourth. In third, starter Raynel Espinal allowed a Mark Payton triple, and one batter later, Payton came home on a sac-fly to center by Wilfredo Tovar. After a double, former Red Sox Jose Peraza ripped a double to left, scoring one. An inning later, Chance Sisco tripled and scored on a David Thompson single, putting Syracuse up 3-1.
But the WooSox, who came back to open last week's series against Lehigh Valley, did it again in the first game of the week at NBT Bank Stadium. Jeter Downs smacked a home run that slipped over the left-centerfield wall in the fifth, and one inning later, Johan Mieses crushed a screaming line drive above the left field wall to tie the game.
Downs' home run was his 12th and his first since August 17, while Mieses' delivered his fourth in his last 20 games.
Mark Payton made it 4-3 Syracuse on a solo home run in the seventh inning, the final run of the day allowed by Espinal. The right-hander pushed through 6.1 innings, allowing four runs on a season-high eight hits with five strikeouts.
Down one entering the eighth, Wong came to the plate leading off against Tom Hackimer. Wong worked it to a 2-1 count and then ripped a ball deep the other way, banging off the bar above the left field wall for a game-tying home run. One inning later, he made it his first Triple-A multi-homer game with the game-winner.
The WooSox continue the six-game series Wednesday at 6:35 p.m. against the Syracuse Mets at NBT Bank Stadium. Radio coverage starts live at 6:15 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network. Worcester's Kutter Crawford (2-4, 5.24) is scheduled to face Zack Godley (6-6, 3.92).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Early Tides Onslaught Sinks Jumbo Shrimp - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Opener to Bulls 6-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Southeast Division, Beat Knights 6-2 - Durham Bulls
- Bats lose their bite in 4-2 loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Six-Run Second Bests Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- Big Innings Push the Tides Past Jacksonville in Win - Norfolk Tides
- Early Lead Not Enough in Sounds' Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Offensive Onslaught Continues with 13-4 Thrashing of Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Fall to Red Sox, 5-4, in Series Opener as Teams Combine for Five Homers on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Fall to Clippers in Rain-Shortened Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wong Hits Two Homers, Game-Winner in Comeback Win over Mets - Worcester Red Sox
- Wings Drop Series Opener to Bisons, 5-4, Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Defeat Rochester 5-4, Magic Number for Division Now 2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pitch, Hit & Run Set for Saturday, September 18 at Johnnie B. Wiley Sports Pavilion - Buffalo Bisons
- September 14 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 14, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-59) vs. St. Paul Saints (58-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Germán Commences MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 14, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Collins Recalled, Zavala & Mendick Return - Charlotte Knights
- Memphis Redbirds Team up with Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at AutoZone Park this Friday - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Tuesday, September 14-Sunday, September 19 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights: September 14th-September 19th - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Sellout Crowd of 9,508 Closes Polar Park's Inaugural Season
- Cordero Homers, Lopez Delivers Go-Ahead Hit in Win over Rochester
- Winckowski Strong in Debut, WooSox Fall 3-0 to Rochester
- Casas Delivers Go-Ahead Triple, WooSox Beat Red Wings 8-4
- Casas, Cordero Go Deep to Open Final Stretch with WooSox Victory